none
70-270 still valid test??? RRS feed

• Question

• The new MS Certification site did not help me out.

I had planned to do the MCSA 2008 Server track with 70-270 as a starter exam. 

The 70-270 and 70-290 series exams are still on Prometric to be scheduled.  

However, in looking at the new MS Certification site, it appears as if 70-270 and even 70-290 have become extinct. 

Though, when I look at the 70-270 page it doesn't state the exam is retired.  

I was taking the test in a couple weeks and invested in study time and materials. 

Is 70-270 still a valid test applicable towards MCP status and applicable towards the new MCSA certification?

It would seem to me that Exam 98-349 would replace 70-270 and the Windows Vista, Windows 7 exams?

Please advise as soon as possible.  Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Dean

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• This test is still valid however it hoesn't count towards the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Mr. Wharty,

Thank you for the response!

I actually called the Certification toll free number and asked some questions.

As you state above, 70-270 and even the 2003 Server MCSA are still available as legacy exams. 

They do not count in any way towards the new MCSA Certification. 

For the new certification one must pass the 98 series exams which aren't available on Prometric or VUE for some reason.  

A company called Certiport handles those exams.  There are a few test centers near my area.  

My plan now is to take 70-270 then Microsoft Technology Associate Exam 98-366, Networking Fundamentals and the rest of the new certification track for MCSA. 

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:10 PM
  • For the new certification one must pass the 98 series exams which aren't available on Prometric or VUE for some reason.  

I don't believe that advice is correct.  You are required to pass 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:13 PM