Attempting to restore client PC, no hard drive found, already importing drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to restore my Dell Studio Hybrid Media center to a backup so that I can then restore it to factory settings (long story...).

I spent most of last night trying to restore this and have still had no success. Initially I couldn't find the server manually or automatically but I then used the drivers for restore from the backup image and found the server no problem.

I now select the backup to restore but there are no discs listed when I come to the page where you specify where to restore the partitions to. Well, there are drives listed but not the right ones. In the disc manager (advanced option) I get the USB stick that the drivers are on listed and the CD drive listed. No sign of the hard disc at all.

I have tried changing the IDE mode in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE with no luck.

When I install to this machine using the Vista install disc it installs fine, I don't have to provide any drivers so I would have thought that the restore disc would be able to fin the discs no problem.

Any ideas?

This is really starting to annoy me so I'll be very pleased if someone can help out.

Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:30 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem with my Dell Laptop. First, I could not see the server, got past that by loading the drivers from USB, then couldn't find the Hard Drive. It turned out the HD drivers I was loading from the USB (needed to find the server) were in fact interfering with HD detection in the Restore environment. I had to manually remove the folder containing the HD drivers from the USB stick , leaving the folders containing the NIC drivers. I could the find both the server and the HD, and could continue with the restore.

Good Luck...
    • Marked as answer by Roaders Monday, December 15, 2008 7:30 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    in the restore environment you can find a button like Disk Management (Advanced). After clicking this button:
    Do you see the target disk in disk management? If yes, all you may need to do is to create a volume here, which has at least the same size as the volume you wish to restore.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:17 PM
  • No, the target disc is not in the Disk Management. I only get the USB drive, and the CD listed.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Does the Bios still show the disk or has a cable fallen apart?
    What happens, if you insert a Vista DVD and boot from it - does it offer the disk as installation target?

Or do you have a second client PC?
    If yes, the method in this FAQ may help you to get through the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:15 PM
  • The hard drive is definitely ok as it boots to windows when I don't boot to CD. I installed vista yesterday and Vista saw the disk no problem without me having to provide any drivers.

yes, that method might work - it will mean dismantling the client PC though which will be a bit tricky. I wish I could get it to work like it should!

Thanks for the help.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:59 PM
  • I had the same problem with my Dell Laptop. First, I could not see the server, got past that by loading the drivers from USB, then couldn't find the Hard Drive. It turned out the HD drivers I was loading from the USB (needed to find the server) were in fact interfering with HD detection in the Restore environment. I had to manually remove the folder containing the HD drivers from the USB stick , leaving the folders containing the NIC drivers. I could the find both the server and the HD, and could continue with the restore.

Good Luck...
    • Marked as answer by Roaders Monday, December 15, 2008 7:30 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:04 PM
  • That's interesting PCMechanic - I wondered if it could be something like that and was goign to try that as a possible next step.

Is it easy enough to tell what the different drivers are for? The folder names just seem to be a load of alpha numeric characters?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:07 PM
  • The NIC drivers usually have net*.* as a filename. You probably don't need any of the other drivers, so just leave any that have net in the name...
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:10 PM
  • That was exactly it PCMechanic, now restoring fine.

Many Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:29 PM