Need a Way to disable DEFRAG ! RAID ! RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista Ultimate with a Raid Controler and there is NO way I want to DEFRAG !!!

I have heard HORROR Stories and don't want to have any problems.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:27 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you can't disable Defrag during Tune-up in OneCare. Did you disable Defrag in Vista already? If not, it's already running automatically.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you can't disable Defrag during Tune-up in OneCare. Did you disable Defrag in Vista already? If not, it's already running automatically.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Hi.  "They" (Microsoft) don't like when I advise this, but with all the usual caveats about being careful editing the registry, etc. etc. etc. and the caveats about modifications may have unforseen consequences etc. etc. etc.:

Just change one entry in the registry, and OneCare tuneup can't find the built-in defragger -- simple.

In the reg entry below, I have changed the value from "DfrgNtfs.exe" to the useless value "DfrgNtfs_exe.sav" -  since this doesn't exist, OneCare tuneup skips past the defrag - without even throwing any errors!

HKCR\CLSID\{80EE4901-33A8-11d1-A213-0080C88593A5}\LocalServer32]
    @="DfrgNtfs_exe.sav"

/jad
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:25 AM
  • With the warnings and caveats in place, that's good advice given, James. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  James Dorf wrote:

Hi.  "They" (Microsoft) don't like when I advise this, but with all the usual caveats about being careful editing the registry, etc. etc. etc. and the caveats about modifications may have unforseen consequences etc. etc. etc.:

Just change one entry in the registry, and OneCare tuneup can't find the built-in defragger -- simple.

In the reg entry below, I have changed the value from "DfrgNtfs.exe" to the useless value "DfrgNtfs_exe.sav" -  since this doesn't exist, OneCare tuneup skips past the defrag - without even throwing any errors!

HKCR\CLSID\{80EE4901-33A8-11d1-A213-0080C88593A5}\LocalServer32]
    @="DfrgNtfs_exe.sav"

/jad

Can you give detailed steps as to how to get to the file and maipulate it? I'd really like to disable DD as well.....

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:13 AM
  • If you are not familiar with editing the registry, I recommend against using this solution. Incorrect editing of the registry can render your computer inoperable until you repair WIndows.

Start/Run/Regedit

Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

FInd the CLSID branch and expand that

Find the specific key noted above or search for DfrgNtfs.exe within the CLSID branch and change the entry per the instructions James provided.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I was going to say the same thing, but omit the instructions..

I don't want to sound snarky, but my solution assumes an "expert" level, and is not recommended for non-expert users.

Thanks/jim

Friday, April 4, 2008 7:26 PM
  •  James Dorf wrote:

I was going to say the same thing, but omit the instructions..

I don't want to sound snarky, but my solution assumes an "expert" level, and is not recommended for non-expert users.

Thanks/jim

I agree, Jim.

-steve

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:37 AM
  • Is it different in Vista?  at the item noted above, i have the value "DfrgFat.exe".  Should i just change that to "DfrgFat.exe.sav?  pls advise.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  

I presume it means that your hard drive is formatted with the FAT file system, instead of the NTFS file system.

I suspect the result will be the same if you rename the filename entry that you see there.

The goal is to rename the defrag filename so that OneCare cannot find the built-in defragger.

As long as you are competent at editing the registry, go ahead and try renaming this file entry -- if it doesn't give the desired result you can always reverse your change and be no worse off..

Best/jim

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:26 PM
  • What would also be very nice is to be able to "tell" Tune-Up that when it Defrags to only do a certain hard drive or partition.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:49 PM
  • This is an excellent thread. I have a new laptop with an SSD and defrag didn't work very well, and isn't recommended. 
    The registry edit worked perfectly for me...thank you so much James.

I also think the developers should give us the option to do this directly in OneCare without having to resort to editing the registry.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Fantastic! Thank you.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:39 PM