Move Dynamics CRM2013 to other domain, move CRM security groups and then upgrade 2013 to 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys.

We have a "complicated plan" to achieve. Here is our current scenario.

We have two domains which are in parent/child relationship: 
    domain.local (primary domain)
    child.domain.local (child domain)

- Dynamics CRM 2013 on-premises server is a member of child domain so it's FQDN is: CRM2013.child.domain.local.
    - CRM2013.child.domain.local has local SQL 2012 version.
    - In child.domain.local we have an organizational unit named: CRM2013.
    - CRM2013 organizational unit contains four security groups:
    PrivReportingGroup {GUID}
    PrivUserGroup {GUID}
    ReportingGroup {GUID}
    SQLAccessGroup {GUID}

Now the idea is:

(1) we need to move CRM from child domain to primary domain. So CRM2013.child.domain.local will be registered as CRM.domain.local. after we Will join it to primary domain.

(2) we also need to move organizational unit with thoose four security groups from child domain to primary domain.
    (3) at the end we wish to upgrade CRM2013 to CRM2015

Any suggestions if we will be able to do that?

Any good tutorials how to achieve all the three steps (1,2,3) without loosing current data and configurations on CRM2013 server?

Thank you.

with best regards

bostjanc

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:00 AM

Answers

• The easiest way to do this is to:

1. Backup the organisation database (not strictly necessary, but a good idea)
    2. Uninstall CRM from the CRM Server
    3. Move the CRM Server into the primary domain
    4. Reinstall CRM on the CRM Server
    5. Import the organisation database

You haven't specified what is happening to the SQL Server. If it's a separate server, and needs to move domains, then do this as you move the CRM server (it doesn't matter which sequence). I'd also check if Reporting Services still works after a domain move, and if not, reinstall it

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

• Marked as answer by B_C_R Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:32 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• anyone, please?

bostjanc

Friday, December 12, 2014 7:10 AM
  • The easiest way to do this is to:

1. Backup the organisation database (not strictly necessary, but a good idea)
    2. Uninstall CRM from the CRM Server
    3. Move the CRM Server into the primary domain
    4. Reinstall CRM on the CRM Server
    5. Import the organisation database

You haven't specified what is happening to the SQL Server. If it's a separate server, and needs to move domains, then do this as you move the CRM server (it doesn't matter which sequence). I'd also check if Reporting Services still works after a domain move, and if not, reinstall it

• Marked as answer by B_C_R Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:32 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 12:46 PM
  • David thanks.

SQL 2012 is installed locally on the same (current) CRM 2013 server.

bostjanc

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:48 PM
  • One more thing. When fqdn of server Will be changed we Will probably need to assing a new certificate to this server.

I still don't know what I need to do after I move Organizational unit with those CRM groups to other domain.

bostjanc

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:52 PM
  • If you follow the steps above, new CRM groups will be created in the primary domain, in whichever Organizational Unit you choose. As far as I know, you wouldn't move the Organizational Unit from one domain to another; instead you should create a new Organizational Unit in the primary domain.

I expect you will need a new certificate (unless you currently have a wildcard certificate for domain.local)

Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:48 PM
  • David thanks.

I Will do it and post the results.

with best regards

bostjanc

Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:50 PM
  • Hi there.

A lot of problems appeared.

Ok, we have created a new virtual machine with os 2012r2std and 2014 sql server and joined it to primary domain. From child domain where currently CRM2013 is installed we have taken sql backups and restored them sucessfuly on newly created server dynamicscrm2015.

Ran CRM 2015 wizard and choosen i would like to connect to and if necessary upgrade and existing deployment. That was a very BAD IDEA. At the phase of installing I got error messaging regarding the permission (those groups in active directory). Because crm2015 is in primary domain and those SQL-CRM groups in other domain it said sth about Access error and unable to continue.

The fun began after I needed to cancel the setup and then I was unable to launch the installation again, or even uninstlal crm from control panel/programs and features. I needed to delete files manually and after that launching Microsoft cleanup wizard.

The next try was chosing a new deployment, where I was able to say to use Organizational unit in primary domain. But it got stucked again, because the installation sees I have already those restored databases on the server.

Well the next try would be, deleting the databases, run the installation again with new deployment and after it finishes I restore and overwrite databases from crm2013 to 2015crm newly created databases but I don't think that would be a good idea too.

bostjanc

Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:45 PM
  • YOur instructions did the trick:

Backup the organisation database (not strictly necessary, but a good idea)

1. Uninstall CRM from the CRM Server
    2. Move the CRM Server into the primary domain
    3. Reinstall CRM on the CRM Server
    4. Import the organisation database

bostjanc

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:32 PM