Word for Mac 2011 Normal.dotm problem RRS feed

• Question

• Normal.dotm seems to be corrupt. I have 60 hours of macros and customizing in this file! I've tried looking for a backup on Time Machine but can't find a file called "normal.dotm". (I can't find it on the regular system either). How do I get all my work back?
    • Moved by Max Meng Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:28 AM Off-Topic (Office for Mac) (From:Word IT Pro Discussions)
    Friday, June 29, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

• If you are using Lion, one reason you may not be able to find your normal.dotm is that the Library folder is hidden on Lion, and the normal.dotm will not show up in a Spotlight search.

if you open the Finder, then hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu, the Library optin will appear. You may then be able to find a normal.dotm in Application Support:Microsoft:Office:User Templates

I can't check right now, but it is possible that versions of the file saved on Time Machine may also be hidden.

(AFAIK that is the standard location - of course it is possible that you used Word->Preferences->File locations to change the location on your system).

Peter Jamieson

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Max, the Word IT pro forum does not specify that it must be Windows Word.

S-Pav, for general Mac Word support, you can also try here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• If you are using Lion, one reason you may not be able to find your normal.dotm is that the Library folder is hidden on Lion, and the normal.dotm will not show up in a Spotlight search.

if you open the Finder, then hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu, the Library optin will appear. You may then be able to find a normal.dotm in Application Support:Microsoft:Office:User Templates

I can't check right now, but it is possible that versions of the file saved on Time Machine may also be hidden.

(AFAIK that is the standard location - of course it is possible that you used Word->Preferences->File locations to change the location on your system).

Peter Jamieson

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Max, the Word IT pro forum does not specify that it must be Windows Word.

S-Pav, for general Mac Word support, you can also try here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Hey Max, could you head over to this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Offtopic/thread/9edb9853-3ef6-4b53-a966-d457d6a5ccad/

As far as I know, the IT Word forum (all IT Office) supports Mac. If that's not the case, we need to be much clearer with users and offer the alternative. But if there is no official status on Mac support then I think it makes more sense to offer limited support and then send them to the Microsoft Community site as a general Mac only community resource.

Thanks!

• Split by Max Meng Friday, November 9, 2012 3:00 AM irrelevant
    • Merged by Max Meng Friday, November 9, 2012 3:04 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hi Ed,

My apologies, I should have provided the forum link in Microsoft Community when moving this thread.

I also agree with you that we should provide limited support when handling Off-topic threads, for this thread, since Peter has already involved and provided a suggestion which looked reliable, as I'm not using Office for Mac and Mac system, so I think it's fine to leave Peter's reply and add nothing.

BTW, I just confirmed this with our Tech Manager that we don't support Office for Mac in TechNet forums.

Let me know if you have more concern.

Best Regards,

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Max Meng Friday, November 9, 2012 4:50 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 4:47 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Max.

Peter Jamieson

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Hi Ed,

My apologies, I should have provided the forum link in Microsoft Community when moving this thread.

I also agree with you that we should provide limited support when handling Off-topic threads, for this thread, since Peter has already involved and provided a suggestion which looked reliable, as I'm not using Office for Mac and Mac system, so I think it's fine to leave Peter's reply and add nothing.

BTW, I just confirmed this with our Tech Manager that we don't support Office for Mac in TechNet forums.

Let me know if you have more concern.

Best Regards,

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Okay. But we should not move any other Office Mac threads here. If we provide limited support, we should make that clear, and include a link to the Community Office Mac forum. If no one else can answer, then providing that link can become the answer. Similarly, you can move the thread to the "Where Is" forum, where we will mark the suggestion of where to ask the question as the answer (since that's what that forum is for).

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:03 PM
  • If we want to not support Mac at all in that forum, then we need to change the forum description and the Mac sticky note to reflect that. But since many answers could be given in the Office dev forum, I do not recommend that approach. I recommend limited support where we see if the community can answer, and if they cannot, then we send them to the Microsoft Community/Answers forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword

Thanks!

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hello Ed,

I am the tech owner of Office forum support team, Max raised the problem to me.

I’ve reviewed the post and I agree with you that for this post, it is better to keep the post as it was marked as answer, all we need to do is to point out the Mac Office forum link to help other Mac Office users find the most appropriate forum.

I appreciate your great suggestion. Would you mind sending email to tnmff@microsoft.com, so we can discuss the topic further to see if there is anything we can do, thank you.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please take a moment to "Mark As Answer" if they help.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:00 AM