System section on server storage is 500GB RRS feed

• Question

• How do I fix this, why is it so large?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:33 AM

All replies

• What does you console say under Server Storage?  Do you have a disk missing?  Have you been copying data to D:\ directly and not through \\servername\shares ?
    --
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:26 AM
  • server storage says 489 GB, and no, nothing is be copied to D directly
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Standard questions:
    • What add-ins have you installed on your server?
    • Have you installed software while logged in to the server desktop?
    • Have you made changes to anything other than in the Windows Home Server console itself? This would include changes made using advanced admin add-ins.
    • Have you made any changes to hardware recently?
    • Power failures?
    • Is the server reporting any health issues?
    • Have you run chkdsk on all the disks in your server ? Probably a good idea if you "... get file conflicts everyday ..."

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:34 AM
  • no add ins, just the disk management.
    no installed software
    no use of advanced add in
    same hardware as stock besides upgraded cpu and ram
    TONS of power disconnects due to frozen system
    only health issues is file conflicts
    and no i havent ran chkdsk yet
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:51 AM
  • "file conflicts" usually means disk problems. Run chkdsk per the link I provided.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:53 PM
  • well i removed a HDD that has been causing problems, I had to remove it, then remove it with WHC, and now I am manually transferring all the files, the file conflict errors have gone away, and the system folder has dropped to 432 GB, I can run CHKDSK later, but that will be after 650GB gets transferred via client computer through FTP to the server.

So in a nutshell, the problem disk is removed, system has dropped 50gigs to 432gigs, and i think that is still too large

as a side note I used treesize and I dont see any irregularities
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:36 PM
  • is there any way to get a list of files that the console has deemed "system" files?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:51 PM
  • is there any way to get a list of files that the console has deemed "system" files?
    No, but it should be anything outside of the standard shares (i.e. downloaded files you've stored somewhere other than \\server).  Shadow Copies is another possibility (although 412 GB of Shadows seems unlikely).
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:42 PM
  • well all i have is about a 60 gig file outside of the shared drive.  other then that, i checked all drives D E and F  and outside of the de\shares folders there is nothing.  any other ideas?
    here is a screen shot

http://myextrafiles.com/upload/at/whs.png
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:17 AM
  • well all i have is about a 60 gig file outside of the shared drive.  other then that, i checked all drives D E and F  and outside of the de\shares folders there is nothing.  any other ideas?
    here is a screen shot

http://myextrafiles.com/upload/at/whs.png
    Do you have any PC backups?  If so, that's probably where it's off (as 14 KB doesn't quite cut it  :)  ).  If not, you might check and see how much you have in Shadow Copies (if any).  You can find that by logging into the server desktop > My Computer > right-click on D > Properties > Shadow Copies tab.  If there are no Shadows, please post a listing of the folders you see on your D partition and the size of each folder.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:44 AM
  • no backups, the dialog box on the right is the shadow properties box, the dialog box on the left is the properties of all the folders excluding shares and DE
    http://www.myextrafiles.com/upload/at/whs2.png
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:35 AM
  • no backups, the dialog box on the right is the shadow properties box, the dialog box on the left is the properties of all the folders excluding shares and DE
    http://www.myextrafiles.com/upload/at/whs2.png
    Where is the 60 GB you mentioned before?  In any event, everything looks ok there so I would have to assume that somehow you have some data that went through D:\shares (instead of \\server\[sharename]).  You'll probably have to do a Server Reinstallation to fix it.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • the 60gb file is e:\Temp 

just so i dont do this again, let me see if this is correct
    if i transfer something to d:\shares it will cause the system section to get bloated? but if I do \\server\shares it will be ok?
    and this pertains to files from a client to the server right?  not on the local machine, say if i download something through the server and then move it to the d:\shares folder?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:38 AM
  • the 60gb file is e:\Temp

I assume that drive is not part of the storage pool?

just so i dont do this again, let me see if this is correct
    if i transfer something to d:\shares it will cause the system section to get bloated?

It might, but it might not.  Either way, it's unsupported so you shouldn't do it.

but if I do \\server\shares it will be ok?

Yes.

and this pertains to files from a client to the server right?

It has nothing to do with a client.

not on the local machine, say if i download something through the server and then move it to the d:\shares folder?
    You should never use D:\shares at all for any reason.  (Plus logging into the server desktop is unsupported anyway.)

At this point, you might want to consider a Server Reinstallation.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:47 AM