Several Suggestions for the next WM6 update (detailed) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got a verizon xv6800 smartphone (HTC manufactures it). Like any computer I use it to its maximum potential, all computers are limited, and all shouldn't be.
    Microsoft has yet to release an update to windows mobile 6 platform. So to help boost their ideas, I've developed a list of things in mobile 6 that should be fixed or upgraded.

-Options to allow more dropdowns in new appointment name, there are default ones that nobody can change.
    -Options to in file explorer to allow seeing file extensions (navigating blind is not fun)
    -Support for youtube video format in windows media player, I only get defects. I thought this was a 3rd generation phone!
    -Allow a command Line!!!! nothing is more usefull than a command line. Vista replaced most of its start menu w/ a command line, that was a good idea.
    -Alarm doesn't function at all when device is on external power. This is unnacceptable.Testers should have noticed this right off the bat. Because I did.
    -Some form of a task bar. Currently i'm using transCreative's magic button, good program. I challenge microsoft to make a better one. WM6 seems to have a habit of not closing programs, as everyone knows eventually it slows down and production(work) isn't even possible at such slow speeds.
    -Better Voice commanding. This model makes you say each person's name. Waste of time for americans. Other phones don't even need training. This is supposed to be an advanced phone. And allow options to not have it repeat what you just said. Thats the most pointless thing I've ever heard.
    -Allow some form of a log. This phone when on standby sometimes won't turn back on. Very frustrating when it takes 2 minutes to boot up from total off. Not knowing what happened to make it defect doesn't help.
    -It also seems to like to defect when there is no service (like the fairday cages that are alot of walmarts).
    -A flashlight button. The light on the camera is very strong and amazing at night, turning it on w/ a press of a single button would be real nice.

I'm not on some rampage, I just pay attention to details. Microsoft is a decent company and windows mobile 6 has a ton of potential. Even with many minor problems it is a power house of technology. But without good programmers to understand that updates are needed it will fail. The strongest part of any piece of software is understanding what the user needs it to do and modifying it to do that, and more.

Anyone who happens to stumble upon this and agrees, just respond saying you agree, feel free to add any suggestions yourselves.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 3:49 PM

All replies

•  Theonlywill wrote:
    I recently got a verizon xv6800 smartphone (HTC manufactures it). Like any computer I use it to its maximum potential, all computers are limited, and all shouldn't be.
    Microsoft has yet to release an update to windows mobile 6 platform. So to help boost their ideas, I've developed a list of things in mobile 6 that should be fixed or upgraded.

-Options to allow more dropdowns in new appointment name, there are default ones that nobody can change.
    -Options to in file explorer to allow seeing file extensions (navigating blind is not fun)
    -Support for youtube video format in windows media player, I only get defects. I thought this was a 3rd generation phone!
    -Allow a command Line!!!! nothing is more usefull than a command line. Vista replaced most of its start menu w/ a command line, that was a good idea.
    -Alarm doesn't function at all when device is on external power. This is unnacceptable.Testers should have noticed this right off the bat. Because I did.
    -Some form of a task bar. Currently i'm using transCreative's magic button, good program. I challenge microsoft to make a better one. WM6 seems to have a habit of not closing programs, as everyone knows eventually it slows down and production(work) isn't even possible at such slow speeds.
    -Better Voice commanding. This model makes you say each person's name. Waste of time for americans. Other phones don't even need training. This is supposed to be an advanced phone. And allow options to not have it repeat what you just said. Thats the most pointless thing I've ever heard.
    -Allow some form of a log. This phone when on standby sometimes won't turn back on. Very frustrating when it takes 2 minutes to boot up from total off. Not knowing what happened to make it defect doesn't help.
    -It also seems to like to defect when there is no service (like the fairday cages that are alot of walmarts).
    -A flashlight button. The light on the camera is very strong and amazing at night, turning it on w/ a press of a single button would be real nice.

I'm not on some rampage, I just pay attention to details. Microsoft is a decent company and windows mobile 6 has a ton of potential. Even with many minor problems it is a power house of technology. But without good programmers to understand that updates are needed it will fail. The strongest part of any piece of software is understanding what the user needs it to do and modifying it to do that, and more.

Anyone who happens to stumble upon this and agrees, just respond saying you agree, feel free to add any suggestions yourselves.

Well I agree with all that you have said. There have been other threads on here mentioning some of the changes. There is supposed to be a new release WIN MOBILE 6.1 when that is due out is beyond me. One of the suggestions you are missing is threaded SMS. I have to agree that for such and advanced product it sure is lacking some basic features. Oh I would love for my TyTn Sprint (PPC 6800 Mogul) to have a voice recorder not the lame notes with a voice recorder I mean a real digital voice recorder. My friend has just gotten herself the HTC Tilt (AT&T) and it has one why doesn't the Mogul have it?  We are both in an English Choir and she can use hers to record the songs we just learned. I tried using that annoying notes recorder but it doesn't record long enough for it to be useful and it is linked to notes. Hers just comes on and she can record no problem and name it on the fly. Because the Mogul didn't have it I was forced to buy a digital recorder. I really wouldn't have bought one otherwise.  I would like a software update to have that added to the versions of HTC phones and other smartphones that don't already have this true voice recorder feature. Oh since Windows XP has this and I assume Vista does too but I don't know it should be added to Win 6.1 and when Win 7 comes out. That is the ability to remove all icons and things off the desktop with one check button. I really hate all of those things on my desktop I love a clean and beautiful desktop. I like to just see the colorful wallpaper and nothing else. The only problem with that is that some of the stuff that is usually on the Win 6 desktop cannot be added to the start menu. I hate having to go into the settings then look for the other things like locking the phone. Since i removed the device lock and all of the other things that get shown on the Today screen I would prefer it to show up in the start menu as an alternative or something like that. 

To recap and add my 2 cents.

- All listed by orignal poster

- Threaded SMS

- Digital voice recorder

- One step removal of icons on Today screen and pinning those that you want to start menu instead.

- Louder ringers some of the stock ringers are so boring and low sounding

If I think of anything else I will edit this post.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Thanks for adding your feedback Nikki.  The Windows Mobile team looks at the suggestion box (that is why we have it).

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:27 PM
  •  

Your welcome.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:29 PM
  •  

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:34 PM