Re-installed Vista..Product key on laptop is invalid...Phone support from MS does not help, just reroutes to manufacturer....Manufacturer reroutes back to MS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I just recently re-installed vista onto my brother's computer. He is not computer savvy so he asked me to do it (the computer person of the family).

So I first downloaded this program called ProduKey to get his product key for his computer. The reason I did this b/c I tried using my vista disc to re-install his OS and his product key ON THE BOTTOM OF HIS LAPTOP is supposedly invalid.

Anyways, I re-installed his OS. Got all of his drivers. Tried to enter the product key that I got from his computer before I did the re-install and I get an error stating that the evaluation failed.

So my mindset is...lets call M$ and get some help. Well they tell us that it is gateway's problem that they suspended his product key. So I call gateway, and they state that we have to deal with M$'s licensing department. I call the dept. and they say that I must call gateway to get a new product key. After that phone call, gateway tells me that they can not re-issue us a new product but M$ can. So immediately I am pissed about the support not helping and buying a new product key for this is out of the question but the product key is ONE THE LAPTOP.

As a result of support NOT BEING HELPFUL, I have come to you guys to help me.

Here is some basic info.

Computer: Gateway MD7818u and came pre-installed
    Disc: Was issued to me when I bought my HP dv9000

I have 2 product keys, one I received from a program that showed his product key and the product key he has on the bottom of his laptop.

I would try phone activation but it does not give me that option. The options I have when I go to activate his vista OS is: Buy a new product key online (which this just sends me through the genuine windows validation -- which was validated), type a different product key, or let microsoft find a solution (which is pointless b/c their solution is: I should call gateway)

What can I do?

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hello BBird40,

The big question is what software did you use to reinstall the Windows? 

I ask because OEM Software (Windows that come pre-installed on a computer) must be reinstalled using the Recovery Software that came with the computer or at least the recovery software from the same manufacturer as who built the computer.  Retail software will not work with OEM Keys and other manufacturers OEM Recovery software might work, but not always. 

(Note: All Computer Manufacturers that sell computers with Windows pre-installed are required to provid the customer some way to reinstall Windows. In the old days they would include a seperate Recovery Disk. Now days, they usually include the Recover Software on a partition on the computer's hard drive.  If you have deleted lost or otherwise can not find the Recovery Software that came with the computer.  The manufacturer will usually be able to provide a replacement copy). 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hello BBird40,

I ask because OEM Software (Windows that come pre-installed on a computer) must be reinstalled using the Recovery Software that came with the computer or at least the recovery software from the same manufacturer as who built the computer.  Retail software will not work with OEM Keys and other manufacturers OEM Recovery software might work, but not always. 

(Note: All Computer Manufacturers that sell computers with Windows pre-installed are required to provid the customer some way to reinstall Windows. In the old days they would include a seperate Recovery Disk. Now days, they usually include the Recover Software on a partition on the computer's hard drive.  If you have deleted lost or otherwise can not find the Recovery Software that came with the computer.  The manufacturer will usually be able to provide a replacement copy). 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:03 AM
  • Hello BBird40,

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    The big answer is . . . They might be required to provide you with a reinstall but the fact IS they DO NOT!!! I have a Desk Top less then 1 years old that crashed, and 2 laptops that all crashed, I has MS Office 2007 on one laptop and Student and Office 2010 on both the desk top and one laptop.. Here is my problem, . .  Although I paid over 1,200.00 for a roughly $500.00 system I did that so that I would have the programs I needed for my school children such as MS Office and Student. The problem is once it crashes my option is to A: Do what I can to get it running and work out the bugs and lose programs such as MS Student and Office or MS Office ... OR Pay the manufacturer to walk me through for $200.00!!! TO get my computer back running and STILL NOT HAVE MY MS OFFICE!!! Oh wait I can however pay them another $60.00 and they will provide me with a "New Key Code" to validate the program I ALREADY PAID FOR!! What is that??? So in retrospect I get to purchase MS Office or Student and Office OVER AND OVER NO Wonder your wealthy!! You own the corner market because NOW the printers I have will NOT print without MS Office or Student and Office!! So my choice is Buy it for the 4th time??  WHY CAN'T YOU PROVIDE A DOWNLOAD FOR WHAT WE HAVE? Shooot you need your key to validate it!!! I have my key I have them ALL I used your "checker" to access my information because I can NOT SEE your super tiny letters and numbers on the  bottom of my laptop or side of my desk top .. then I wrote them down in case of a crash!! AND NO None of them were "TRAILS" They were all PAID FOR FULL VERSIONS!! I created websites that I used for a year before my first crash..  I have a ton of stuff I can show you I did that you CAN NOT do on a trial and still no one can help me unless I pay again and again. I am on a fixed income with 6 kids in my house!!! Would you please tell me what I should do now because MY KIDS CAN NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK because AFTER A CRASH you push your PAYING CONSUMERS ASIDE for NEW BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I have already spent over a thousand dollars for a program I can't use!! I think it is a bit unfair!!! Its not gold.

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hello BBird40,

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    The big answer is . . . They might be required to provide you with a reinstall but the fact IS they DO NOT!!! I have a Desk Top less then 1 years old that crashed, and 2 laptops that all crashed, I has MS Office 2007 on one laptop and Student and Office 2010 on both the desk top and one laptop.. Here is my problem, . .  Although I paid over 1,200.00 for a roughly $500.00 system I did that so that I would have the programs I needed for my school children such as MS Office and Student. The problem is once it crashes my option is to A: Do what I can to get it running and work out the bugs and lose programs such as MS Student and Office or MS Office ... OR Pay the manufacturer to walk me through for $200.00!!! TO get my computer back running and STILL NOT HAVE MY MS OFFICE!!! Oh wait I can however pay them another $60.00 and they will provide me with a "New Key Code" to validate the program I ALREADY PAID FOR!! What is that??? So in retrospect I get to purchase MS Office or Student and Office OVER AND OVER NO Wonder your wealthy!! You own the corner market because NOW the printers I have will NOT print without MS Office or Student and Office!! So my choice is Buy it for the 4th time??  WHY CAN'T YOU PROVIDE A DOWNLOAD FOR WHAT WE HAVE? Shooot you need your key to validate it!!! I have my key I have them ALL I used your "checker" to access my information because I can NOT SEE your super tiny letters and numbers on the  bottom of my laptop or side of my desk top .. then I wrote them down in case of a crash!! AND NO None of them were "TRAILS" They were all PAID FOR FULL VERSIONS!! I created websites that I used for a year before my first crash..  I have a ton of stuff I can show you I did that you CAN NOT do on a trial and still no one can help me unless I pay again and again. I am on a fixed income with 6 kids in my house!!! Would you please tell me what I should do now because MY KIDS CAN NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK because AFTER A CRASH you push your PAYING CONSUMERS ASIDE for NEW BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I have already spent over a thousand dollars for a program I can't use!! I think it is a bit unfair!!! Its not gold.

PS I have tried all your "ONLINE" help.. Nothing has helped me The programs DO NOT WORK!!!!

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:48 PM
  • P

.S.S I do not care if it is 2007 or 2010 as long as my kids can get their homework done.. and before anyone posts anything about "Libraries" or do it from school, i am not ignorant.. I live on the outskirts of town ... closest library is almost an hour away it costs 20 cents a page that I don't mind but the time and gas everyday gets costly!  The schools are not much help either as they assume EVERYONE has access to a printer these days!! Two of my kids graduated I am NOT new at getting information from the schools!

if anyone can help me at all please contact me coopswife2000 I am at yahoo.com NO I AM NOT asking for a free code or anything like that.. i am simply asking for a download for 2007 Office or student and office as I am still able to use the laptop it came installed on. And I do have the code stored in a file on here. I just don't know where to download it without paying again. I tried downloading the 2010 but my code is not valid with that because it does not go to the 2010 I am just really upset. I see all over where people say they get all this stuff free I don't know how they manage that when I can not even get my paid for programs to work!! I am so frustrated right now :( Thanks in advanced if you able to help with a download link for 2007 office.. if not I understand, I looked all over it says free trial and takes me back to 2010 every time :'(

Friday, August 26, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Friday, August 26, 2011 8:28 PM