One care will not update RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble getting my one care to update. It is only one month old. I tried manually getting it to update, restarting one care only, and finnally restarting my computer. I cannot resolve this. I have dial up so it may be slowing the process down but I don't think that that is it. My computer speed has also slowed way down also.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem and it is ticking me off.

as soon as i restart my computer and dial up  and try to update manually it doesnt high light blue again so I can

update , I even down loaded a data base fill from msn and that didnt not help

I am also on dial up , I have windows vista , and had one care for at least 3months and had no previous problem until now

So what is the fix besides uninstalling and reinstalling one care again . In stalling one care took me at least 5 hours install.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:15 PM
  • I have been trying all day to update, My one care is only 2 weeks old and I have already have several promblems. I had to take it back to circuit city and they had to take it back to the defaults and reload the one care. Now this is just a little frustrating. I have dial up also, my programs have been slower  and the system will not update the virus and spyware protection and take the one care off red.  So what needs to be done?
    •  
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Yes, updates via dial-up can be painfully slow, especially if it is a full database or program update.

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

Slow computer performance can be due to any number of things. If that began after OneCare was installed, I'd suspect that other security software remains on the PC and is conflicting with OneCare. You can contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 3:39 PM
  • I had a PC with Dial-Up using OneCare for the last three years and happily just switched to broadband recently. The problem isn't just OneCare, it's all the other Windows Updates and everything else you use the Dial-Up connection for. This is even worse on Vista than on XP, because all of the Windows Updates are much larger.

One of you mentioned it taking 5 hours to originally install OneCare, so assume it will take about the same every time a new major version is released, just like the recently released 2.5 version. Also, if any of you used a CD to install, you will require the complete ~50MB 2.5 update too, since that's not available via CD in stores yet.

For Dial-Up the only solution is to leave the PC connected for several hours, such as overnight when you won't need the phone. This will allow Windows Updates, OneCare and other automatic updating systems to 'catch-up'. This will only get worse if you don't do this, since there are several new Windows/Office Updates due out next week Tuesday which will likely total more than 20MB.

Also, if your Dial-Up connection isn't at least 45Kbps or better and used at least a few hours per week, I'd drop OneCare and switch to an AV suite that isn't a subscription. The reason is that you will continually have these problems due to low bandwidth and/or lack of online connection time.

This is simply a reality of current software and update systems and will only get worse as time goes on, so the best solution is to simply get broadband if at all possible, though I understand and sympathize if it's not available cost effectively where you live. I'd been waiting for three years to get broadband on the edge of town where DSL had been just short of reaching, so was overjoyed when AT&T finally made a maximum 768Kbps DSL line available. It actually costs less than the high-end Dial-Up account I'd had, over two times less ($10/mo.) during the first year.

OneCareBear

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Thanks so much for your help. I left my PC connected over night and the next morning it was updated and One Care was was back to green.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Excellent! Glad to hear that it has updated.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:21 PM