hsd1.wa.comcast.net RRS feed

• Question

• Today at bootup, Live One Care said I am connected to a network with the subject name, wanted me to choose between home and public environments for the firewall settings. Comcast internet tech support claims to know nothing about that url. Any ideas? I haven't changed anything in months, this is new today, it repeated when I restarted.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:10 PM

Answers

• Are you connected directly to your Comcast cable modem? If so, select Public as your network type. (I assume that this is the case.)

Are you connected to a router, which is then connected to your cable modem? If so, select "Home or Work" as your network type.

These selections helps the firewall configure itself for common uses for a public or a private connection, with the public type being more secure.

The Comcast tech you spoke with was clueless. That address is likely the host name of the Gateway that you are connected to and it is part of the Comcast network - I assume that the "wa" means Washington and that the "hsd1" is a device on your node.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:13 PM