Validation issues.....how bad is this? RRS feed

• Question

• So over the last few days there has been the little reminder that my windows isn't genuine.  How can I get rid of this problem???  I refuse to spend the insain amount of money that microsoft wants for a new copy of windows (I don't have that kind of money, I have rent to pay!)

Here's my situation with windows.......

The computer was a gift, at the time I was going to school and we were all issued a copy of windows xp .  One day the processor decided to die, and thus I had to replace half the components to get it up and running again.  I got everything up and running again fine and dandy.  I have since lost the windows disc, so re-installing isn't an option....with it the little key thingy that seems to be non-genuine.  I've run the diagnostic tool and this is what it said....

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WWHQB-VPVTD-KCPK4
    Windows Product Key Hash: d7LXNHnOK97xqnWA7WX0nn/abDQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-9976297-23890
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 7594N6D
    ID: 5b44a655-c17e-4343-9cc5-ddd1f8947a35
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5b44a655-c17e-4343-9cc5-ddd1f8947a35</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KCPK4</PKey><PID>55274-642-9976297-23890</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2052111302-152049171-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040223000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3E97316F01848053</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57082</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

The copy of windows was issued to me from school, which I no longer go to so I can't go to them and get a new copy.  What am I suppose to do?  I don't have the money to buy a new copy of windows, I have lost the disc and key, and my school was where I got it from in the first place.  If I can't validate this copy, how horrible is it to go on with a "non- genuine" copy?  Is there a way to at least get the stupid bubble to stop popping up every 5 minutes reminding me?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:47 AM

Answers

• Winter:

It seems your copy of Windows is installed with a VLK (volume license key). Volume Licenses are only available for mostly corporate use and are not for sale as a retail item.

Can you verify that your COA matches your Product Key? (if the computer came with Windows as a systembuilder/OEM package from school)

Your copy of Office is not genuine either, I would suggest going back to purchase location to remedy the situation.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:06 PM
  • Winter:

I'm sorry for the confusion in communication. I checked further into your Product Key and it seems it has been reported by the original purchaser and has been blocked because of misuse issues. In order to recieve a new key without purchase at this point, you *need* to go back to the student store to remedy the situation.

Again, I would also recommend having the store remedy your copy of Office, as it is non-genuine and may cause issues at a later time.

You can change select notification options by right-clicking the system tray icon and choosing to modify Notifications options.

I hope this helps!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:28 PM

All replies

• Winter:

It seems your copy of Windows is installed with a VLK (volume license key). Volume Licenses are only available for mostly corporate use and are not for sale as a retail item.

Can you verify that your COA matches your Product Key? (if the computer came with Windows as a systembuilder/OEM package from school)

Your copy of Office is not genuine either, I would suggest going back to purchase location to remedy the situation.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:06 PM
  • I don't think you looked at my post very closely.....all of the answers to your questions was given in my first post.

This copy of windows was ISSUED to me because I was a student at my school, not purchased from a retailer,  I don't go to school anymore, thus I can't go back and get a new copy or Key.   I have also since LOST the product key and Windows CD....so can't varify if it matches if I don't have it now can I?

I just want to get rid of that stupid bubble that pops up.  Except for whatever automatic updates does I never download anything from microsoft anyway. 

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:19 PM
  • Winter:

I'm sorry for the confusion in communication. I checked further into your Product Key and it seems it has been reported by the original purchaser and has been blocked because of misuse issues. In order to recieve a new key without purchase at this point, you *need* to go back to the student store to remedy the situation.

Again, I would also recommend having the store remedy your copy of Office, as it is non-genuine and may cause issues at a later time.

You can change select notification options by right-clicking the system tray icon and choosing to modify Notifications options.

I hope this helps!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help!
    Thursday, June 1, 2006 1:36 AM