MCITP Enterprise Administrator vs. Server Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I want to become either certified for MCITP: EA or MCITP: SA.

The problem is I dont know which to study for. I would assume the MCITP: EA, but I do not know if this is the correct path for pursing a job as a Network Engineer.

Are there any books that are relevant to Windows Server 2008 R2 that I should read to increase my chances of passing? I plan to do self study so is their any information that i should learn specifically?

Thanks in advanced,

Gerald Goudy

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Start from the following web address

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:02 PM
  • First of all, I wonder what is your definition of "network engineer". So can't advise on that.

EA, or Enterprise Administrator, is Microsoft's highest certification for systems administrator. Someone, who can take control of corporate network, be it tens or hundreds of thousands computers. He is the one who architects the network and is able to fix any problem. Sort of. He gets orders from shareholders.

SA, or Systems Administrator, is someone who gets orders from EA. He knows some stuff, but not doing architecture and is not the main deity of the corporate network.

However, to pursue EA you will have to become SA first. Your first exam will be 70-640, so you can prepare for that and see how it goes.

Phrase "to increase my chances of passing" is rather funny, as the level of knowledge you'll need to have is such, that books and training courses will give you some chance to pass, as without them you have none.

Go to Amazon and look for 70-640. The book with the best rating is what you'll have to get. But that's only the beginning. If you can lay your hands on video course - do it as well. Find virtual labs at Technet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb512925). Devote 7 hours per week, better 2 sessions of 3.5 hours to training and in 2 months you will be ready for this exam.

Practice shows, that you'll need to go through 3 courses before you will be able to pass 70-640. These are courses 6421 (for 70-642 exam), 6425 and 6426 (both for 70-640). It's hard to pass AD exam without knowledge of networking and vice versa.

Next exam will be 70-646, which will give you MCITP:SA. And that's when your EA track starts.

First, you'll pass 70-680 - Windows 7, which will be an easy ride. No need to prepare since you are SA. Then you're up to 70-643, and the last one will be 70-647. Usually it's quite problematic for non-developers to understand materials of 70-643 exam, as Internet Information Server is for developers, and that's half of the exam. However, you won't have this exam this year, so don't bother now :)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Do you think the E-Learning courses is sufficient enough to pass the Exams?? They are a little less expensive than the course-led by instructors.
    Friday, September 14, 2012 3:17 PM