none
Forums can - Usenet can't RRS feed

• General discussion

• One feature that could be implemented in the new Forums that is really difficult to do in Usenet - common problem sticky threads or sub-forums within Expression programs (Blend, Web, Design, etc) that answer commonly asked questions/problems.

For instance in Web:
    My Images Don't Show When Published
    My Folder List is Empty
    My files have a BOM
    Why don't all my pages show in my website - (the website that I forgot to create, so they're just loose pages)
    How come Goofy font appears as Arial?
    My Forms don't work!
    Help my ASP is broken and I can't get up!

Make these threads closed except for editing by moderators.

If we had some canned response threads to common problems it would cut down on repeated responses and wasted electrons.

How about Sticky threads/forums on resources for; tutorials, third party expression sites (I know there are some on the main pages - but why not put them IN the forums?) and other useful stuff.

Perhaps:

Other Useful Web Tools:
    Photo editors
    Graphics editors
    etc?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:41 PM

All replies

• Rob,

In the SQL Forums, we have recently created a Wiki on the MSDN Code site for just that purpose.

We can then create ONLY ONE 'sticky' in each applicable Forum to refer to the Wiki, and of course, in our responses, we can link directly to a example or suggested solution on the Wiki. We want to stop constantly repeating the same answers to the same questions. And we think that most users just want to find an workable solution. Contributions are encouraged from both Moderators and selected 'Answerers'.

It has the advantage of being on a Microsoft hosted site and relatively 'advertisement' free.
    Both good points for many users.

See: http://Code.MSDN.Microsoft.com/SQLExamples

-Arnie
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:28 PM
  • We have the ability to make one or more threads sticky, but the number of FAQ are such that it would reduce the number of new and active threads that people would see on the first page of threads for a product's forum...i.e. they'd have to go to the second page and I'd prefer that active threads be visible on the first page as much as possible. So maybe instead, we should have some way to mark a thread as a FAQ so users could click a link that filters the forum to show only FAQ. Or I could create a thread that compiles the most common questions and the standard reply to it and name that one thread FAQ and make it sticky. Then as we encounter a new FAQ, we could keep updating that one thread. Rob, would you be willing to work with me on that?

Anna
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Sure I'll help.

BTW, how are you guys dealing with questions/posts that are obviously in the wrong forum/thread? Can you move them and mark the orig location as "moved" like I've seen in other forum software?
    • Edited by Rob Giordano Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:24 PM added content
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Yes we can but I haven't used it so far..such as when user's post a product-specific question in the General forum. I don't because I'm afraid the original poster won't find their thread if I move it?
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:03 PM
  • In the current 'on-line' Forums, when we MOVE a thread to a different forum, the protocol is to leave a REPLY so that if the OP is getting Alerts, he/she will be alerted as to the MOVE location.

But of course, the Alerts functionality isn't working properly yet with the 'new' forum software...

As to the FAQ idea, I highly recommend exploring the 'Wiki' concept I discussed earlier.
    It does provide a level of 'control' as to who adds/edits the material.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:50 PM
  • Well, I'm for anything that will save time and be more effective, for two reasons...help the noobs and get more of the MVPs over here.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 1:23 AM