none
WHS backup fails after SSD explodes! RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, I have a WHS server with several computers being backed up. I have used the backup and restore function several times. Recently I had an Intel G1 80GB SSD begin to fail. It was the secondary drive. Not boot, or swap.  Eventually the partition table became corrupt and I lost all the data on it. It was just games, so I am not concerned with the data. Ever since then the backups have failed. WHS states it cannot find the hard drive so the computer must be offline. I figured after I got the drive back from the RMA, I would pop it in, then give it the old drive letter and shabam! it would all work nicely. WRONG! It still tells me the drive or system is offline, and I can't get into the configure backup menu for that client. When I look at the event logs, I see it is complaining about missing a drive with the SID number. Since this is a new drive, and serial number, it generates a different SID number.

My question is:  How do I either remove the drive from WHS, so it stops complaining about it, OR how do I fool Windows to change the drive's SID number?

Matt|ttaM

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

• Reconfigure backups for that computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tiderfish Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:42 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:50 PM

All replies

• Reconfigure backups for that computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tiderfish Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:42 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:50 PM
  • I assume you mean by going under the backup menu in the admin console and right clicking the affected computer and clicking Configure backup? That is when I get this error. Since it can't find the drive it thinks the computer is offline. However It does show the icon for it as being blue not gray.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I assume the client can find the server? Have a look in the tray on the client computer. If not connected, try running Discovery.exe on the client to reconnect to the server.

In the whs console, if the computer is blue and you have the option to configure backup when you right click that computer that means the server can find the client computer.
    However, there are some options. You can try to repair the backup database and you can also try to reinstall the whs software on the client.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I checked again after a couple of reboots and some Windows updates, and it works now. It let me into the Backup Configuration tool, and it showed both the old and the new SSD. However the old one was labeled not found. I unchecked the old one, finished the configuration, ran a backup and it all works now! Thanks for your help!

Matt|ttaM

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:42 PM