Drive Not Added error message RRS feed

• Question

• One of my USB external hard drives now displays Drive Not Added message in the Server Storage Tab (icon is not green, not red- it is empty/clear). This drive has sucessfully been part of my pool for some time. This drive does show up in DIsk Management- so . The only option I have is to Remove it (Repair greyed out). Using teh DIsk Management add-in, it shows up in the section called UnManaged Disks.

Any ideas of what to do?
    Thanks
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• One of my USB external hard drives now displays Drive Not Added message in the Server Storage Tab (icon is not green, not red- it is empty/clear). This drive has sucessfully been part of my pool for some time. This drive does show up in DIsk Management- so . The only option I have is to Remove it (Repair greyed out). Using teh DIsk Management add-in, it shows up in the section called UnManaged Disks.

Any ideas of what to do?
    Thanks

I'm surprised you have Remove as an option in the Server Storage tab.  My suggestion is to power down your server, disconnect the USB drive from your server, connect the drive to a client, and copy everything you find on that drive inside a hidden folder called DE to another location.  (This way, no matter what happens, your data is safe.)  Then re-connect the drive, power the server back up, and use the Remove function in the Server Storage tab and see if it works.  If it does, great.  If not, then you'll have to re-add the USB drive (if desired, see note below).  Once you add the drive, it will be formatted, so you will then need to copy all of your data you backed up earlier (which should be in a subfolder of DE called Shares) back to the server shares.

NOTE:  This issue does happen occasionally with USB drives.  As such, you would be much better off not re-adding the USB drive to your storage pool and use it as a backup drive instead.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Did I misunderstand pour post? If I connect a usb hard drive -- if will be wiped out?  Can I just add the hard drive and use it as I want?

This home server is sounding worse than ever.. are media extensions worth all of this junk?

I'm the admin of this server, I add drive/folders/media/data as I wish?

Are you driving this server or is Microsoft?

I have a 1 TB drive full of mixed media, will whs let me just add the drive and the data at the same time?

Red Beard
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Did I misunderstand pour post? If I connect a usb hard drive -- if will be wiped out?

Once you add it to the storage pool, yes.

Can I just add the hard drive and use it as I want?

Basically, no (at least not in a supported fashion).  You turn control of the hard drive over to the OS and it puts the files on whichever hard drive it wants as you add data to the network shares.

This home server is sounding worse than ever.. are media extensions worth all of this junk?

I'm the admin of this server, I add drive/folders/media/data as I wish?

Sure.  You add the hard drives to the storage pool (at which point the drive gets formatted).  Then you copy data to the storage pool through the network shares.  It handles the rest.

Are you driving this server or is Microsoft?

I have a 1 TB drive full of mixed media, will whs let me just add the drive and the data at the same time?

Red Beard
    No.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:26 PM