CRM 2011 Email Router - This user or queue does not have a mailbox. RRS feed

• Question

• So I have this problem.  It sure doesn't seem like I'm the only one, but after reading all of the very similar, if not identical, problems folks have been posting about for both CRM v4 and 2011 Email Routers, I still can't seem to find a solution to my specific problem.

Here's my error:

#26090 - An error occurred while opening mailbox <username>@<domain>. Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.EmailException: The remote Microsoft Exchange e-mail server returned the error "(404) Not Found". This user or queue does not have a mailbox. Create a mailbox and try again. ---> Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.EmailException: The remote Microsoft Exchange e-mail server returned the error "(404) Not Found". This user or queue does not have a mailbox. Create a mailbox and try again.

This only happens on two users, and I can't seem to figure out why.  The error above is from the event log, but I see a similar error when testing in the Email Router interface.  We're using Exchange 2007 and are connecting to the individual mailboxes using the user supplied credentials in CRM(I've double and triple checked those).  The fact that it's only happening with two users (out of about 10 that are using the Email Router instead of the CRM client...) makes me think it's something with the configuration of the AD accounts or CRM accounts.  They both have a primary email address in CRM, and their sAMAccountNames in AD are the same as their usernames.  I'm not sure where to go with this from here, though.  Any ideas?

Monday, April 30, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• The two users for which you are having the issue, have they accessed their inbox?

In Exchange, users need to access their inbox to finalize inbox creation.

Also, have their email addresses been approved in CRM? (not sure if this would generate that error though, but it's worth making sure)

Musings on Information Technology

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! 

They've both been around for a couple years, and the mailboxes are used regularly.  I hadn't thought about making sure the email addresses were approved in CRM, but I checked and they are. 

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Hello Onedrum:

This is not related to approving primary email address of user but it usually comes if CRM deployment is using SSL but in IIS, admin has disabled the SSL feature. Try to check settings at both the places and make them sync.

Let me know if it worked for you or not.

Saurabh Gupta, MS CRM 2011 Software Development Engineer

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Saurabh,

If it was an SSL configuration problem, wouldn't it be affecting all email router users; not limited to two of them?

In the CRM deployment we're using HTTPS, and in IIS SSL is required.  Are these the settings that you're referring to, or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Any other thoughts on this one?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Not to sound redundant, but have one user log into the mail box through OWA (Outlook Web Exchange).  This generates the folders within the mailbox.

Secondly, have these 2 mailboxes been migrated from another Exchange server?  If so, the migration may not have happened correctly.

Is there more than one Exchange server?  If so, are these 2 users on one server and the other 8 users on the other?

Are you using multiple configuration profiles?  Or do all the users use the same Incoming and Outgoing profile on the configuration profile tab in the e-mail router?

You could also try creating a new mailbox in exchange and after initializing that new mailbox, set the CRM user profile to that mailbox and see if it works.  This should let you know if there is anything wrong with the 2 mailboxes.

Jason Peterson

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Thanks for thinking through this with me, Jason! 

I logged into OWA this morning as one of the users and then confirmed that it still generates the error when I test the incoming mail in the Email Router. 

To answer your other questions, yes these two would have been migrated from a 2003 Exchange server a number of years back, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  We only have one Exchange server, though, and we have one Incoming and one Outgoing profile in the Email Router configuration. 

I'm certainly game for the idea on creating a new mailbox in Exchange and seeing if we can use that to help further isolate the problem.  I'll follow up with the results of that.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:02 PM
  • No takers?

I just added 12 more users to use the email router and 3 of them have the same 404 problem.  I guess that's more accounts to look at, but I'm pretty stumped.

Any additional input would be appreciated!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Have any of these people ever changed their names?  Has their primary email address ever been removed and then added with a different email address?

Can you backup and remove one of their mailboxes, then create a new Exchange mailbox for them, restore their mail, and see if they sync then?

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi onedrum,

Can you give this a try:

Since you using Ex2007 this should apply to you.

Symptom: When you click Test Access in the E-mail Router Configuration Manager, you receive the following HTTP error message:

Incoming Status: Failure - The remote Microsoft Exchange e-mail server returned an error "(404) Not Found". The user or queue does not have a mailbox. Create a mailbox and try again.

Resolution: Depending on which version of Exchange Server you are using, perform one of the following procedures.

For Exchange Server 2007, follow these steps:

1. Connect to the Exchange Server where the mailbox is located.
    2. In IIS Console Management, follow these steps to verify that the virtual directory that you are using to connect to the mailbox (Exadmin or Exchange) is present:
      1. Expand the default Web site in INETMGR.
      2. Verify that the EXADMIN folder is present. If it is not, you will have to create it. For detailed information, see KB Article 947802.
    3. Another possible cause of this error is the Microsoft Dynamics CRM user e-mail address information. In the Web application, verify that the user's e-mail address is set correctly.

For Exchange Server 2003, follow these steps:

1. In the Web application, verify that the e-mail address logon information is the same as the user's domain logon:
      • Example of correct configuration:

DomainName: DOMAIN\user1

E-mailAddress: user1@domain.com

• Example of incorrect configuration:

DomainName: DOMAIN\user2

E-mailAddress: CRM.User@domain.com

2. Make sure that the Microsoft Dynamics CRM user properties are set to use the correct e-mail address.
    3. Run the E-mail Router Configuration Manager to configure an incoming profile and then publish the profile.
    4. Stop the E-mail Router Configuration Manager service.
    5. Open the Microsoft.Tools.Crm.EmailAgent.Xml file in a text editor such as Notepad.
    6. At the top of the file, set ConfigUpdatePeriod = 0.
    7. Modify each user's incoming profile as follows:

<EmailUser>DOMAIN\User2</EmailUser>

<EmailPassword>{2A48C4DB-F2BFZ3g==@MkoEoFd1wvV8bY8UijX7VA==</EmailPassword>

<EmailAddress>CRM.User@domain.com</EmailAddress>

Change only CRM.User to User2, as follows: <EmailAddress>User2@domain.com<EmailAddress>

8. Save the Microsoft.Tools.Crm.EmailAgent.Xml file.
    9. Restart the E-mail Router Configuration Manager service.

Important

Clicking Test Access in E-mail Router Configuration Manager will not result in a successful test. This is because test access will get the information from the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server directly and not from the Microsoft.Tools.Crm.EmailAgent.Xml file. To verify that the E-mail Router is functioning correctly, you can monitor the trace and errors and send test e-mail messages.

Mailbox not found (access test succeeds)

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Good news!  It's fixed! 

So I looked at the post you referenced, nrodri, including following the link to the KB article which I hadn't looked at previously, and everything there looked fine.  I'd seen those steps before, but I didn't want to respond without taking a good second look.  Honestly, Wayne's response about backing up a mailbox and restoring was a little scary to think about, so we opened a case with Microsoft. :-)

The issue ended up being that the Email Router was on Rollup 5 and the rest of the CRM deployment was on Rollup 6.  At least, upgrading the email router to Rollup 6 resolved the issue for all five problem users.  The Micro$oft tech said that it was likely a bug that was fixed in Rollup 6, so when (if?) I get that info from him I'll update this post so the best details are available. 

Always the simple stuff...

Thanks for all the help!!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:33 PM