.Net 4 patch broke XP Home NetTCPPortSharing service RRS feed

• Question

• After installing a recent .Net 4 patch to my XP Home netbook, the WHS 2011 Connector is broken due to the problem described at  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2705096,that is, the netbook's NetTCPPortSharaing service now fails to start.

The MS provided FixIt did not cure the problem.  So, Microsoft says I need to do the following:

"To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1.       Grant the LocalService account Read permissions to the following file:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V4.0.30319\SMSvcHost.exe.config

2.       Grant the LocalService account Read and List Folder Contents permissions to the root of drive C."

Unfortunately, unlike XP Pro, XP Home lacks the necessary tools to modify the specified rights and permissions.  Nor could I not find a command line tool or a third party utility for the task.

How do I change the above rights in XP Home? 

Thank you 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

• I have been looking at "fixes" all day, applying one after another until I found a solution that worked.   

I copied the Microsoft.Net Framework version 3.0 SMSvcHost.exe.config file into the version 4 folder after first renaming the Net Framework version 4 file.  I rebooted with the Netbook.  Finally, the NetTCPPortSharing service again started automatically.  Also, the WHS 2011 Connector Software again works properly.  F* Magic if you ask me

I do not yet know if the file swap will cause other problems for me.  (Norton just popped up with an Error 3046, 3.)

• Marked as answer by 1 BigGuy Friday, June 21, 2013 12:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:37 AM

All replies

• I booted the netbook to safe mode to reveal the security tab.  I made the above, MS recommended security changes.  Neither change cured the problem that the netbook's NetTCPPortSharaing service fails to start.

If I disable the service, reboot the netbook, enable the service and start it, I get the following error message: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I have also verified per MS instructions that the netbook C: drive is a "basic" not "dynamic" disk.

Any suggestions how to get the NetTCPPortSharaing service to start?

Thank you.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:31 PM
  • I have been looking at "fixes" all day, applying one after another until I found a solution that worked.   

I copied the Microsoft.Net Framework version 3.0 SMSvcHost.exe.config file into the version 4 folder after first renaming the Net Framework version 4 file.  I rebooted with the Netbook.  Finally, the NetTCPPortSharing service again started automatically.  Also, the WHS 2011 Connector Software again works properly.  F* Magic if you ask me

I do not yet know if the file swap will cause other problems for me.  (Norton just popped up with an Error 3046, 3.)

• Marked as answer by 1 BigGuy Friday, June 21, 2013 12:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the thread. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:59 AM