none
Preventing spam

Question

• Currently the forum seems to be flooded by (if I'm not mistaken arabic) spam. As this is, to my knowledge) an English forum, maybe a spam filter can be implemented that checks for the language.

Not sure if it will help, but it's just a thought.

// Edit:

Second thought: when a post is marked as spam, hide all posts by author till confirmed. Little tricky as fully valid posts can be accidentily (or on purpose) marked as spam.

WimS

• Edited by sterretje_K5 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:25 AM

All replies

• We have had many Farsi language posts, dealing with refrigerator maintenance, for some time now. I long ago translated a few using Bing.com/Translator and saw that the Farsi (Persian) was mostly nonsense. I flag them abusive (Report as abuse, spam/advertising). After flagging about 10 or 20, they suddenly get deleted. Some admin must get alerted by the abusive notices and deletes the posts, and I believe also deletes the account. You can also email fissues at microsoft dot com.

I don't know why the spam filter cannot recognize these, as they all mention refrigerator/appliance maintenance, power of attorney, and brand names in English, plus what I believe are phone numbers.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:26 PM
  • I do report them ;-) Not sure of there is 24/7 moderation on this forum.

But the real problem is that they get posted in bulk and e.g. the first 10 threads when visiting this site are about that. If it gets worse, one has to go to the second page before one finds a serious thread.

Regards WimS

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:18 PM