Migrating from SBS 2003 to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running a SBS at my home for a couple of years.  I'm currenlty running 2003 SP1 and I was planning on upgrading my server and loading a fresh copy of SBS RC2 anyway.  Instead I'm planning on taking the plundge with WHS.  Before I do, I wanted to see if anyone has run into any issues jumping from SBS to WHS?
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:30 PM

Answers

• No to email storage, yes to Remote Web Workplace through the Remote Access features.

You should take a look at WHS, but bear in mind that it's not primarily targeted at the technically sophisticated user, who might be comfortable with using SBS. The target audience will, for the most part, buy an HP MediaSmart Server (or similar device from another vendor), take it home, plug it in, and expect it to "just work".
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• You will lose the ability to run Active Directory, as well as all the additional functionality that SBS adds to W2K3 Server. If you don't currently take advantage of AD, or Exchange, or any of that added functionality, then you may find that WHS is a good fit.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 1:20 AM
  • I use Exchange only for email storage.  In other words Exchange doesn't send or recieve email on my home network (I have each Outlook client send or receive POP/SMTP mail); however, exchange will store emails so that each user can access their email regardless of the computer they are using on the network.  Does WHS have the ability to store user email at the server?  Another feature of SBS I use is Remote Web Workplace.  Does WHS have RWW or something similar.  RWW is great since the ports are not blocked at my work but other remote control options are such as logmein or gotomypc.

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:44 PM
  • No to email storage, yes to Remote Web Workplace through the Remote Access features.

You should take a look at WHS, but bear in mind that it's not primarily targeted at the technically sophisticated user, who might be comfortable with using SBS. The target audience will, for the most part, buy an HP MediaSmart Server (or similar device from another vendor), take it home, plug it in, and expect it to "just work".
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:00 PM