Course 5246: Deploying Microsoft® Windows® SharePoint® Services 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  During the above course, when following the instructions below in the lab an error is thrown when running the prescan tool and the lab cannot then be continued.

This is the second problem I have had in 3 courses - please see message below on course 5244.

Have these been tested or reviewd by a technical person?

Regards

B

Task 2: Install and configure WSS 3.0 server for an in-place upgrade.

1. Start the WSS server installation process using the SharePoint executable file stored at E:\Labfiles\Starter\Setup.

a. Click Start, click My Computer, and then browse to E:\Labfiles\Starter\Setup.

b. To run the Setup, double-click the SharePoint executable file.

c. On the task bar, click Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.

d. On the Read the Microsoft Software License Terms page, review the terms, select the I accept the terms of this agreement check box, and then click Continue.

e. On the Upgrade earlier versions page, ensure that the Yes, perform an automated in-place upgrade. All web sites and databases will be upgraded; the process will continue until complete. This is best for installations with few databases and less than 30GB of content option is selected, and then click Install now.

f. Clear the Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard now check box, and then click Close.

2. At the command prompt, run the pre-upgrade scan tool, PRESCAN.EXE/all on the existing WSS 2.0 server.

a. Click Start, and then click Run.

b. In the Run dialog box, type cmd in the Open box., and then click OK

c. To run the pre-upgrade scan tool on the existing WSS 2.0 server, type cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

d. Type PRESCAN.EXE/all, and then press ENTER.

e. After the scan completes, type Exit at the command prompt.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi There-

Please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction for support on this.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:57 AM