Money 98 file corrupt RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been using MS Money 98 since 1997, so it has ALL my financial life in it. I've got it on a laptop now, with Windows 7.

It's worked fine, until recently, when it started giving me errors when trying to open the file:
         "'C:\users\scott\documents\finances\my money backup' is corrupted or is not a money data file. Make sure you are opening a file with an MNY extension. If you have chosen the correct file and it could not be accessed, you will need to open your most recent backup file to access your data."

This is infuriatingly frustrating! I've tried every possible solution I can google to solve this problem. ANY MORE IDEAS???

I've tried importing/opening in a newer version, Money 2005 (intermediary) gave me missing dll file errors when trying to salvage the files - and I cannot find the dlls anywhere that I trust.

I do see a "My Money Backup.ldb" file that I've never seen before. Explorer identifies it as a "Microsoft Office Access Record-Locking Information" file type. Is this file locked, is that why???

I'd love to convert this old software to the latest/last available version, MS Money Sunset (or whatever it's called), but since I can't even get into my files with the original program - I cannot even consider it yet.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:23 PM

All replies

• I took the advice of another thread and "open as administrator", and it allowed me to access the files. I only lost a day or two of data - but that's nothing compared to 16 years of it!
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:45 PM