Microsoft CRM 4.0 Rollup 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• It seems Microsoft has only released a i386 CRM client update in Microsoft CRM rollup 4.

What to use when upgrading the CRM client on a 64bit Vista and Office 2007 system?

Cheers,

Michael

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline Access are both 32-bit applications. They must run in the Windows on Windows (WOW) system, when the application runs on a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or a Windows Vista edition that is running on an x64 computer.

This is why the rollups do not have an x64 release for Outlook Client.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:09 PM
  • This is done automatically when you install the x86 version of the client update rollup v4. It has been this way for all the previous rollups as well.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline Access are both 32-bit applications. They must run in the Windows on Windows (WOW) system, when the application runs on a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or a Windows Vista edition that is running on an x64 computer.

This is why the rollups do not have an x64 release for Outlook Client.

Hassan.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Thanks for explaining Hassan.

Can you perhaps clarify on what to do to install the CRM client as a WOW64 or is this done automatically by Vista by installing the program files in the x86 program files?

Any pointers are welcomed.

Thanks,

Michael
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:22 PM
  • This is done automatically when you install the x86 version of the client update rollup v4. It has been this way for all the previous rollups as well.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I haven't done this for vista so appologies in advance if my steps do not work in Vista. To run a 32-bit applications in 62-bit operating system. Open the Properties page of the program which you want to run in 64-bit operating system. In the Properties page, you will see the Compatibility tab. Click on it and check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” check box. Then select the mode and click on Apply and OK.

Hope this helps.

H.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Hi Hassan,

Thanks again for clarifying.

I specified the compatibility mode but the roll up 4 client installation fails with Action Microsoft.Crm.UpdateWrapper.MspInstallAction failed.
    Fatal error during installation.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Just a suggestion.
    Were there any individual hotfixes that you previously installed manually?
    You might want to remove those in View Installed Updates in Add/Remove Programs in Vista.
    And then re-try applying the update rollup v4.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:58 PM
  • I suspect that the issue you are experiencing is associated with Rollup 4.  There were some install issues with the rollup that caused problems for some installs.  I would try rollup 5 and see if you still experience the issue.

Best Regards, Donna
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:49 PM