none
Moving from WinForms to Web Development

Question

• Hi,

I have worked all my career (8 years) in WinForms development. I am now wondering if I really should be moving into Web application development? From what I have seen recently WinForm applications are at an end and that web is the development route to take.

Is this correct and does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:28 PM

Answers

• I think that you are right. As a developer, I am getting lots of requests for Web applications, but basically zero work on WinForms, except for very occasional maintenance tasks on legacy applications. But no new projects based on WinForms.

So yes, I recommend that you follow the route of Web applications.

As a WinForms developer, you will find it easiest to learn ASP.NET Web Forms, which are designed to emulate WinForms, but you will have to be careful as there are significant non-obvious differences, for example, in WebForms you cannot persist state in form variables since they are lost on each postback.

Most new development (versus maintenance of existing applications) tends to be done in ASP.NET MVC. The learning curve for MVC may be a little bit steeper than for WebForms, but it is worth the investment of time.

Friday, May 20, 2016 3:17 PM