sunset deluxe download not working RRS feed

• Question

• My version of Ms money quit working last week. When I tried to open it, I kept getting the message that it had stopped working and I'd be contacted if a solution was found. At times, it completely crashed my system bringing up a blue screen with white text that did a memory dump and then shut down the computer.

I had no desire to change to a more complicated program when all I need is an electronic checkbook that I can use to keep track of finances and balance my accounts. I read about the sunset deluxe version and decided it would be perfect. 

I have downloaded it and installed it several times but I still get the same message that microsoft money has stopped working and nothing happens. What do I need to do to get money sunset working?

Monday, May 27, 2019 5:00 PM

All replies

• I suspect that the blue screen crash is not being caused by a problem with Microsoft Money but rather by a different problem with your computer.  The first thing that you should do it to make sure that you have good backups of your Money data files.  Copy your .mny file and any .mbf backup files to one or more external media such as a flash drive, DVD, or different computer.  

Then, give us a little more detail about your experience:

- what version of Windows are you running?

- do you know the version of Money that you were running when this problem started?  US, UK, or elsewhere?

- did you install Money Sunset Deluxe from the link in the second "sticky" thread in this forum?

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

- did you apply the patch for Money Plus that is described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum?

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

- after installing Money Sunset, if you double-click on the Sample.mny file (look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus folder) does it open?  If not, what is the error message?

Let us know what you find and we will try to diagnose further.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Monday, May 27, 2019 9:57 PM Typo
    Monday, May 27, 2019 7:57 PM
  • In addition to what Bill Becker said, there is a thing you could try.

Create a new Windows user, and try running Money as that user. If that works, let us know.

Money Sunset cannot open a Money file that was not originally from North America.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:49 AM
  • The link I used to download the program is the top one on the thread. Should I try the second one?

As far as the blue screen crash, it happened after using money when I started having problems with the program.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Apparently my first reply didn't get submitted. I'm using windows 7 and am in the US. I am unable to check the version of money I'm using as the program no longer opens.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:55 PM
  • The link I used to download the program is the top one on the thread. Should I try the second one?

No. Bill had referenced what is currently the second thread/post in this forum. The first link in that post is a post that makes it to a document that says Money "After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is nearing the end" and links to a document with more info. The second link is the install for Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, and that is what I think you used. The third link is for the Business version, and you probably don't want that one.

So now we know that you are in the US. We think you installed Money Plus Deluxe Sunset previously. It worked for a while. We don't know if you put the patched mnyob99.dll into place.

We don't know if you tried to open Money by right-clicking sample.mny and choosing open.

We don't know if you tried to open Money as a different user.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Sorry I haven't had time to respond to the thread until today.

Yes, I can open the sample.mny file with no trouble.

How do I create a new windows user?

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Sorry I haven't had time to respond to the thread until today.

Yes, I can open the sample.mny file with no trouble.

How do I create a new windows user?

A sense of urgency?

The fact that you can open sample.mny successfully would indicate that trying to open Money as a different Windows user is probably not needed.

1. Install the Money Plus Deluxe patch as described in what is currently the first. If that does not fix it, do #2.

2. With Money open with any file, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Also, while the file is open, increase your number of backups, so that you don't overwrite good backups with backups from a corrupted file.

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _7_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _10_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

If that does not fix it, let us know how far you got. Then we will prescribe new steps.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Got the new dll copied and opened the program. No problems. Tried to open the problem file and it shut down and went to the blue screen. After logging back in the info on the blue screen was:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: a
      BCP1: 0000000000000098
      BCP2: 0000000000000002
      BCP3: 0000000000000000
      BCP4: FFFFF800038C0A34
      OS Version: 6_1_7601
      Service Pack: 1_0
      Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\060519-51885-01.dmp
      C:\Users\home\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-371453-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

That means nothing to me but probably does to you. I can't work on it anymore tonight, but will try opening the sample.mny file and change the preferences as you suggested. Then I'll try to open the msmoney.mny file that is causing the problems again and see if I can get further.

It's not that fixing this isn't a sense of urgency. I'm a teacher and the problem hit at one of my busiest times of year. The software is on my home computer and I haven't been home long enough to try to resolve the problem. I do appreciate the help you are giving me.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 1:26 AM
  • Sorry, but the dump means nothing to me either.

Open Sample.mny, and proceed with #2.

If the problem then persists, you will move to either doing file repair, or restoring a backup (*.mbf file) that predates the problem.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Here's what I've done today...

I was able to open the sample file and change the preferences so it would open to account list. When I tried to open the money.mny file, however it crashed the program or went to blue screen dump. I checked my back-ups and had three that were the same date as the problem file. I decided to try the backup 0.mny file as it was larger. It opened with no problems. I recovered it with a different name, made the other changes you suggested, most of which were already set (nothing set in the home page display settings) and closed it. I tried to open it again and again got a blue screen dump.

After rebooting the computer, I opened money again. Despite it being set to open to account list, it opened to the newly recovered file. 

I'm wondering if all the back-ups from the previous date have a problem. Do I need to go back one back-up further? I only have one more early date to try.

We are leaving on vacation tonight and I won't have access to my computer until I return late next week. If I don't respond, it's because I'm not with my computer.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:14 PM
  • I tried to open money again a few seconds ago and opened to recovered file I closed it and was going to open it again and double check settings, but got a message that microsoft money was already running...which it isn't unless it takes a few minutes to close.
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Make sure that you are not overwriting older *.mbf files.  I would copy your older *.mbf files to other media, such as a USB flash drive.

Also, while the file is open, increase your number of backups, so that you don't overwrite good backups with backups from a corrupted file. See "2." above.

Did you have scheduled backups configured?

How long does your problem Money file stay open? A few second? Many minutes?

Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:08 PM
  • Ended up having some unexpected time today so am back to trying to solve the problems.

I started with opening the initial restored file. It opened fine and no problems when open. I closed it and tried to re-open it. It went to the blue screen when I tried to re-open.

I then opened my oldest back-up and renamed it. No problems. Did a couple transactions with no problems, closed it and re-opened with no problems.

Do I continue to use that one or do we need to do some repairs on it? I'm hoping we are near a solution so I can get files back up to date. Keeping my fingers crossed this one works. If it does, do I delete the other back-ups that crash the program?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Ended up having some unexpected time today so am back to trying to solve the problems.

I started with opening the initial restored file. It opened fine and no problems when open. I closed it and tried to re-open it. It went to the blue screen when I tried to re-open.

I then opened my oldest back-up and renamed it. No problems. Did a couple transactions with no problems, closed it and re-opened with no problems.

Do I continue to use that one or do we need to do some repairs on it? I'm hoping we are near a solution so I can get files back up to date. Keeping my fingers crossed this one works. If it does, do I delete the other back-ups that crash the program?

Keep the various versions, and use descriptive file names. Also copy important files to a USB flash drive, in case the hard drive fails or you make a mistake and overwrite something important.

Whether you continue with a restored  old working backup, and add missing transactions, would depend on how much was missing I think. If you have intermediate-time backups, you could try those.  If your oldest backup is 2 years old, I would think you would try other possibilities.

You could also try a standard repair level 2... again choosing a new name for the output. Log what each file is. You could also try a level 1 on that level 2 output, and then do another level 2  on the output of the level 1.

To invoke the repair utility, you can open any not-crashing Money file and use  File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair. Alternatively, you could run the salv.exe utility

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe

if using 32-bit Windows.  If using 64-bit Windows, run

C:\Program Files (86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:50 PM
  • The backup that seems to be working is from April 30 so not that much work to do. It appears to be the only working file I have. Would you still suggest a repair or use as is and update?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:17 PM
  • The backup that seems to be working is from April 30 so not that much work to do. It appears to be the only working file I have. Would you still suggest a repair or use as is and update?

Not sure. Probably just continue from there. EDIT: after thinking about it, I guess I would run a level 2, and put the output into a Money file with a new name.

I very much suggest that you modify your backup settings as I described on my June 5 post. Congratulations on having that working April 30 backup.

Depending on your providers, you might want to consider Pocketsense. Some learning curve, but it automates getting transactions from some financial institutions. Few banks, but many US credit cards and brokers. This could fit in with your catch-up situation. If you want more info on PocketSense.

Some of your FIs will let you download transactions into an OFX or QFX file, which Money can process.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:24 PM
  • I did modify things so I now will have 10 back-ups. I use the program only as an electronic check book for ease in balancing and updating my paper checkbook. I don't need to access any online stuff from anywhere.

Thanks so much for all your help. I'll let you know how things work from here on out.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:27 PM
  • That sounds good. I look forward to hearing how it's working.

I would suggest that you also do the scheduled backup to a USB flash drive. That will save you in case of a hard drive crash.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:31 PM
  • I'm going to do the backups to the hard drive and then copy to a flash drive. Or is it better to do them directly to the flash drive?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:45 PM
  • I'm going to do the backups to the hard drive and then copy to a flash drive. Or is it better to do them directly to the flash drive?

Either works if you actually do the copy on a regular basis.

The advantage of the schedule backup is that it reminds you to do it. It also does the automated multiple-version file naming. I have mine scheduled for every week, but 2 to 4 weeks might fit your usage better.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:53 PM
  • Finally got all my files updated. Here's what I learned today:

I have to open the program using the file name and not just the microsoft money shortcut

I can't close a file and immediately open it up again as that caused the blue screen dump.

I have everything backed up to my flash drive...even the tmp file I know I don't need.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:02 PM