downloading updates manually? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there, i've recently came into a problem with onecare. i've tried installing it from the cd as well as from the internet and i get the same problem. the installation fails becasue OC could not download the updated definitions. i've come to the conclusion that this is because of the proxy's set up in my office. is it possible to download the updates manually, outside of OC, say, from some third-party website and/or (it may sound crazy) microsoft's own website?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:57 AM

Answers

• If you are behind a proxy that requires authentication, OneCare will constantly fail to update. I would recommend considering an alternative security solution if that is the case, rather than manually updating definitions, which is unsupported.

While the Forefront definitions and installer might usually work, the definitions are not always in sync. OneCare may have older or newer definitions based on testing done with OneCare before staging the definitions for distribution to OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:03 PM

All replies

• K-Dubs:

You could try going to http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ and get the latest updates for Microsoft Forefront Client Security - I believe that Forefront and OneCare use the same definitions.

- FriendlyFFF

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:54 PM
  • If you are behind a proxy that requires authentication, OneCare will constantly fail to update. I would recommend considering an alternative security solution if that is the case, rather than manually updating definitions, which is unsupported.

While the Forefront definitions and installer might usually work, the definitions are not always in sync. OneCare may have older or newer definitions based on testing done with OneCare before staging the definitions for distribution to OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:03 PM