WHS crashes when transmitting large file from Windows 7 clients RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my WHS behaves strangely. I couldn't transfer large file (10GB or more) from Windows 7 client (Win7 Ultimate RC) to WHS. When I start copying, from task manager, I found the network utilization (gigabit NIC) could go as high as 95% for few seconds and then drop to 0%. After a while, Window 7 complains about there is error in accessing the remote PC. From that point, I can only cancel the copy operation. In some cases, WHS crashes immediately after I start copying.

This didn't happen until about two weeks ago. After looking at system enevt log in WHS, I found many warning message like below.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Srv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2012
    Date: 8/1/2009
    Time: 2:18:26 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network
    configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.

What ciould be the casue of this? Does that mean I need to re-install the server software?

I tried different NIC(gigabit) and the symptom doesn't get better.

By the way, WHS works for other tasks like PC backup, streaming video files to client etc. I also did testing to copy the same large file from a WinXP VM running on the Win7 host and that went well. However the network utilization at the server side is about 7% (gigabit NIC).
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:40 PM

Answers

• After many days of trouble shooting and countless visit to online forums, I found that the NIC on the server has both IP4 and IP6. I removed IP6 and everything started working well. From last night after I fixed it, I have transfered over 100GB of data from client to the server. Nothing happened again.

I will need to monitor it for several days.  

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• I tried different NIC(gigabit) and the symptom doesn't get better.

I most cases I have seen these kind of problems are related to a faulty NIC or NIC drivers and or not allways easy to solve. The cause of this could eighter be found on ther server or on the client. And the problem may then most likely occur when doing large file transfers on higher speeds.

You allready tried a different netword card (on the server or client?). If only one of your clients has problems I would start looking at the client. But be aware that the problem can still be your server if the Windows 7 client is able to do transfers on higer speeds then other clients.

Personally I would first check the cabling, then the drivers on both the client and server. Try another/new network cable. Any updates for the NIC drivers? Do they support the OS?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:53 PM
  • After many days of trouble shooting and countless visit to online forums, I found that the NIC on the server has both IP4 and IP6. I removed IP6 and everything started working well. From last night after I fixed it, I have transfered over 100GB of data from client to the server. Nothing happened again.

I will need to monitor it for several days.  

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:11 PM