Removing / Adding Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just got a new computer for my network :) I was already upto my maximum of 10 clients so I removed my oldest PC in the console and it disappeared all OK so far. I have tried to add my new PC and it says I already have a maximum of 10 installed. I have tried rebooting Server and Client to no avail.

Any clues?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I just got a new computer for my network :) I was already upto my maximum of 10 clients so I removed my oldest PC in the console and it disappeared all OK so far. I have tried to add my new PC and it says I already have a maximum of 10 installed. I have tried rebooting Server and Client to no avail.

Any clues?

I would first run a Backup Cleanup (in case there are any remnants of that client floating around in the backup database), then reboot the server again.  If that doesn't help, the only supported method to fix is Server Reinstallation.

The unsupported method would be to delete the key for that client in the registry.  However, I would strongly advise against that unless you really know what you are doing with editing the registry (because you could end up making your system in a far worse state than it is now if you do something wrong).  The registry path for it is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients.  From there you would have to look at each subkey and figure out which ones should be there (for the 9 computers you see in the Console) and which ones shouldn't.
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:44 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Any clues?

I would first run a Backup Cleanup (in case there are any remnants of that client floating around in the backup database), then reboot the server again.  If that doesn't help, the only supported method to fix is Server Reinstallation.

The unsupported method would be to delete the key for that client in the registry.  However, I would strongly advise against that unless you really know what you are doing with editing the registry (because you could end up making your system in a far worse state than it is now if you do something wrong).  The registry path for it is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients.  From there you would have to look at each subkey and figure out which ones should be there (for the 9 computers you see in the Console) and which ones shouldn't.
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:44 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hi Kariya21,

The registry trick worked and I now have my new machine added.

Many thanks.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:46 PM