Problem moving a system folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have my music on a dedicated external USB hard drive. I have WHS 2011 configured to use that drive for the system Music folder.

The drive seems to be going bad, so I've added a new internal hard drive. Simple enough - WHS makes that easy.

I'm trying to move the content from the failing drive to the new internal drive. When I use the "Move a Folder" wizard, after I answer the obligatory questions, it is stuck at "Stopping sharing for the folder at the original location... (0%)". Just to make sure it isn't actually doing something, I left the wizard running for 24 hours - but alas it seems like it is really stuck. It is not hung, but if I click the Cancel button on the wizard,  it takes over 5 minutes to stop running the wizard.

Is there a manual method to move this folder? Or a workaround to this issue?

Skip Purdy
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• Are you sure the disk is not dead? How big is your library - what time would it normally take to copy that amount of data? If not dead, disconnect the drive and add the new one. Recreate your Music Folder on the new drive - shut the server down. You can then copy the data over from old disk to new, preferably using a desktop computer and then reattach the new drive to your server and start it up again. That should do it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:29 PM
  • This response is not helpful, as it does not take into account WHS' behavior for default shares.

Further, I attempted this advice and it does not work. I cannot get WHS to move the share at all. I moved all the files off the old drive (so there is NO data left), run the Wizard, and the Wizard just hangs.

Skip Purdy
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:01 PM
  • This sounds like you have a hardware issue with that external drive. If you've already removed everything from the drive, you could always try disconnecting the drive, then moving the share.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Did your server joined a HomeGroup? if so, maybe you could unjoin the HomeGroup and try Move a Folder again.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:52 AM