Windows XP pro Validation RRS feed

• Question

• So far I have installed everything, ran diagnostics, validation, WGA tool etc.. etc... and my copy of windows WHICH I purchased approximately 3-4 years ago from my university electronics boutique, sealed and original packaging unused, BRAND SPANKING NEW, fully legitimate windows disc hologram, words, etc...

And I can't even send away for a free genuine key to fix the problem because that was 3-4 years ago, with which I couldn't find the receipt if I tried. How can I validate my windows so I do not get spammed with continuous messaging telling me how not genuine my windows is?

please help me on this one because I am a fully paid for customer for my windows.

Monday, April 6, 2009 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hello pc_junya,

Thank you for continuing the dialog about your situation.

Your latest post tells us that you purchased a retail upgrade for Windows XP Pro "for academic use only" and in a previous post you told us that you bought it in the U's tech boutique.  You have a nice pretty retail box, on the boxtop there is a Certificate of Authenticity, and inside the box you received what looks to be a genuine hologrammed CD with "academic" printed in the hologram.

The Product Key on retail packaging is not printed on the CoA (as it would be on an OEM CoA), but is printed on a yellow-orange sticker affixed to the folder inside the box.  Please compare the last three sets of characters on the PK on the sticker to the last three sets of characters reported by the mgadiag utility, 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J.

(a)  If the PK on the yellow-orange label is the same as what's reported, 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, then there's a good chance that your materials are high quality counterfeits.  Another dead giveaway of a couterfeit CD is for a CD that has a retail or OEM label to actually contain the "bits" for a Volume Licensing installation.  To check this, navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and check the contents of the setupp.ini file.  If the second section has a PID= value where the second set of digits is "270" or "640" thru "649" the CD contains VL bits.  If so, you'll want to follow the prompts being shown to you by the WGA Notifications Utility to file both a piracy report and a request to participate in the complimentary Windows offer as described in the FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0E3IAC  Technically the compimentary offer is not open to those who purchase upgrade copies for Windows, but it can't hurt to file the request anyway.

(b)  If the PK on the yellow-orange label is not the same as what's reported, then it's very likely that you started out with a genuine installation of XP Pro but at some point the installation was repaired or replaced using a Volume Licensing CD and Product Key.  In that case, you may be able to get everything back to Genuine by running the Product key Updater Utility at this link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668  If the Updater utility is not able to convert (which can happen), then backing up your data and doing a repair with the hologrammed CD and the genuine PK will get you back to being Genuine.

Post back to keep us updated :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:29 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

• pc_junya,

Please
    run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you.

Rick

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8365391-23584
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {CBACCA46-3322-490C-BEE0-697589E24C05}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.8.31.9
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office XP Professional - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CBACCA46-3322-490C-BEE0-697589E24C05}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>55274-640-8365391-23584</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-606747145-1563985344-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>T5052</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20061010000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3A81368F0184C06C</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>AFC74D85DB90682</Val><Hash>evALRI4GQqHbzlG8Fpqehjo0fDc=</Hash><Pid>54186-786-2034577-17362</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1D330:emachines inc|1D330:Gateway, Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Hello pc_junya,

Look on your Gateway computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  What edition of Windows is printed on the CoA?  (DO NOT post the Product Key on the CoA!!)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Well it's a custom PC, not built by gateway....

I purchased the windows XP separately myself, direct from the store. Is there something on the box or in the CD that you would like me to post?
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:58 AM
  • pc_junya,

Your computer has a Gateway/eMachines motherboard in it, as reported by the mgadiag report.

Anyway, right now the computer has a Volume Licensing installation of Windows XP Pro, which was installed with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8365391-23584
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

This particular VLK was blocked less than four weeks ago, so we have been seeing many reports from people who are perplexed as to why their long-time validated computer is suddenly nongenuine.

A custom built PC can have either an OEM license for Windows or a full retail license for Windows in order to be legitimately licensed.  Even if your Volume Licensing Key were still valid, because Volume Licenses are Upgrade licenses only, your use of a Volume License on a custom built computer would not constitute a properly licensed Windows installation, because there was no base license to which the upgrade could be applied.

If you have the CD that was purchased from your University, please compare it to media at www.howtotell.com and let us know which type of CD it is and whether it appears to be genuine media or a possible counterfeit.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Well, the port holes on mine don't have a any thread, and as far as I can tell, the certificate of authenticity wording is not in blue as it says its supposed to be.  My eyes may be off... but the port hole part could it have worn off possibly?
    I checked the CD, it said Academic edition in the hologram which seems to be scribed right into the cd, no sticker. Pretty genuine hologram. Other than the port hole part, it still seems Genuine, as well it is the windows xp professional upgrade is what the box itself says.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:31 AM
  • Hello pc_junya,

Thank you for continuing the dialog about your situation.

Your latest post tells us that you purchased a retail upgrade for Windows XP Pro "for academic use only" and in a previous post you told us that you bought it in the U's tech boutique.  You have a nice pretty retail box, on the boxtop there is a Certificate of Authenticity, and inside the box you received what looks to be a genuine hologrammed CD with "academic" printed in the hologram.

The Product Key on retail packaging is not printed on the CoA (as it would be on an OEM CoA), but is printed on a yellow-orange sticker affixed to the folder inside the box.  Please compare the last three sets of characters on the PK on the sticker to the last three sets of characters reported by the mgadiag utility, 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J.

(a)  If the PK on the yellow-orange label is the same as what's reported, 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, then there's a good chance that your materials are high quality counterfeits.  Another dead giveaway of a couterfeit CD is for a CD that has a retail or OEM label to actually contain the "bits" for a Volume Licensing installation.  To check this, navigate to the \i386 folder on the CD and check the contents of the setupp.ini file.  If the second section has a PID= value where the second set of digits is "270" or "640" thru "649" the CD contains VL bits.  If so, you'll want to follow the prompts being shown to you by the WGA Notifications Utility to file both a piracy report and a request to participate in the complimentary Windows offer as described in the FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0E3IAC  Technically the compimentary offer is not open to those who purchase upgrade copies for Windows, but it can't hurt to file the request anyway.

(b)  If the PK on the yellow-orange label is not the same as what's reported, then it's very likely that you started out with a genuine installation of XP Pro but at some point the installation was repaired or replaced using a Volume Licensing CD and Product Key.  In that case, you may be able to get everything back to Genuine by running the Product key Updater Utility at this link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668  If the Updater utility is not able to convert (which can happen), then backing up your data and doing a repair with the hologrammed CD and the genuine PK will get you back to being Genuine.

Post back to keep us updated :-)
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:29 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:55 PM