Suggested WHS feature Addins RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've just recently installed WHS setup was easy and all that was required was your Product Key.

Currently i'm using Microsoft Server 2003 as a game server to host a game on the internet.

What i'd like to see is some kind of addin that configures the WHS to not only do all the stuff like remote, network backups etc etc, but to include a addin that enables the WHS to act as a game server say for example.

A clan that would like to host a server at home to host games instead of renting but would like to host more then 1 game at a time. I know there is Microsoft Virutal PC 2007 that can help but this would mean for a server to host 5 games they'll need five operating systems before they could even use the games.

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:25 PM

All replies

• You're asking a lot of your Internet connection to plan on hosting 5 game servers. Do you have the kind of bandwidth that would require? And does your ISP permit you to host servers? Some do, but some (including some of the largest players) don't. You might be able to get away with a relatively low-bandwidth server, even if it violates your AUP, but 5 game servers is a different thing entirely.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:18 PM
  • I'm with Tiscali for my ADSL connection of 8 MB, this was just a suggestion in terms of the 5 games being run at one my ISP mite cope with 2-3. but as i said its only suggestion.

I personally only use Windows 2003 server for gaming at the moment for a Clan i've just setup. But WHS although is Windows 2003 SBE is easier to setup.

Hence the suggestion.

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:23 PM
  • I would agree that your connection might support 2-3 simultaneous games, but no more than that. It would depend on what game you're looking to host, I suppose.

WHS is easier to set up than Windows Server 2003 largely because the WS2K3 setup is scripted to be an unattended installation. It still gets installed, but you don't have the same level of control over what is installed and where it goes. So you sacrifice flexibility for convenience.

If I were you, and I wanted to host game servers, I would do two things. First, I would stick with Windows server 2003, which you can more easily customize for your requirements. Second, I would contact my ISP and buy a business plan. I wouldn't do this because of AUP violations from running a server (I see by your ISP that you're in the UK, where things are a little different), I would do it because I would expect to consume significant amounts of bandwidth pretty regularly, and that would fall under a different area of the AUP, the one where you agree not to do anything that impacts other users of the services (that's common in most countries). By buying a business plan, you're saying that you plan to put up services on your connection that may consume bandwidth regularly, and your ISP can plan for that.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Right ok. Thanks i'll stick to 2003 EE but WHS would sell loads if a addon that makes it easier to run multiple games without using software such as Virtual PC but instead running multiple games on one OS but in a slot kind of system!!!! (this is jus suggestion)
    Monday, July 23, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Online gaming isn't my thing, and this is kind of getting off-topic for the WHS forums, but don't most game servers run as a service on the host OS? In which case I would think that it might be possible to run multiple instances without actually using virtualization technology: just set each server to run on a different IP port when you set the service up. If you have multiple servers running in virtual machines, you would possibly have some issues with how many external IP addresses your ISP allows you.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 4:07 PM
  • not all games install as a service windows which makes multi game hosting more difficult and hows thanks for your advice!!!!
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:20 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Online gaming isn't my thing, and this is kind of getting off-topic for the WHS forums, but don't most game servers run as a service on the host OS? In which case I would think that it might be possible to run multiple instances without actually using virtualization technology: just set each server to run on a different IP port when you set the service up. If you have multiple servers running in virtual machines, you would possibly have some issues with how many external IP addresses your ISP allows you.

No, they run as apps and server performance would suffer as a service. I'm testing game servers on WHS and, so far, they run fine. An add-in to control "a game server" might be superfluous due to other 3rd party tools but the real problem is how would the add-in support the hundreds of different games to serve? Somebody could make an add-in for specific games (and it's mods) but it'd be extremely difficult to code for all possible games.

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Well most games that are hosted now a day are well known game such as Call Of Duty, Call Of Duty UO, Call Of Duty 2, Medal Of Honor Series and such forth.

So all really it needs to be is a system that detects this and configure the server to games needs and loadage. There is 3rd party software as you said so it must be possible to do this and intergrate it as a addin!!

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  Hacktrix2006 wrote:

Well most games that are hosted now a day are well known game such as Call Of Duty, Call Of Duty UO, Call Of Duty 2, Medal Of Honor Series and such forth.

So all really it needs to be is a system that detects this and configure the server to games needs and loadage. There is 3rd party software as you said so it must be possible to do this and intergrate it as a addin!!

Actually the most popular games are half-life/half-life2 based, like Counter Strike (I don't play it personally) and the Source version. Then there are the UT based games and mods, etc.

That's my point, to detect all possible games to load the proper controls is very complicated. While there are 3rd party tools that do SOME detection, it's still not every game. HLSW (very popular) may not help you with your COD servers, etc. That would require different add-ins for different games. You're better off just using existing 3rd party tools from your game rig and once a server is configured it shouldn't change much. That doesn't even take into account the various add-ins for the servers themselves that would need to be supported by teh WHS add-in.

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:37 PM
  • I see what ya getting. My be a addin that configures port forwarding maybe be a better way so you install a game then is automatically sets the right ports on the router. Or at least something that make hosting games at home easier.

Don't get me wrong i can host my game perfectly though DNS's and stuff like that but i'm thinking about people who only know the basics thats why i made the original suggestion!!!.

I think that if microsoft adapted an OS for Game servers or made an addon it would sell tonns of copies!!

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:39 PM
  •  Hacktrix2006 wrote:

I see what ya getting. My be a addin that configures port forwarding maybe be a better way so you install a game then is automatically sets the right ports on the router. Or at least something that make hosting games at home easier.

Don't get me wrong i can host my game perfectly though DNS's and stuff like that but i'm thinking about people who only know the basics thats why i made the original suggestion!!!.

I think that if microsoft adapted an OS for Game servers or made an addon it would sell tonns of copies!!

While you and I might be running game servers, WHS really isn't meant for that, it's just that it "works" for that. With any OS, you'd still have to know how to configure a server (and router) to run one. I'm of the opinion that people should have some basic admin skills to run game (and other) servers, to make it "game servers for dummies" would be detrimental to the gaming community and therefore a mistake. Wink

Hope that helps...

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:49 PM