change server workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• how can I change the server workgroup name  (workgroup) to my home network workgroup name?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:45 PM

Answers

• The only method to change the name of the workgroup for a headless device you would have to use the Remote Desktop Client software on your PC to connect to your server, using the user name Administrator and the console password.
    Here you can find the necessary field in Control Panel/System on the Computer name tab.

The error message can be safely ignored if all other stuff works, because it comes from testing the connection from inside via outside to inside, which is not supported by each router.

Best greetings
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 19, 2010 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by wwills Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:30 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:55 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming you have a self-built server? While it's not needed (your server will work fine even if it's in a different workgroup) you can change it the same way you would on a windows XP or windows Server 2003 PC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Ken. I am using HP's EX495 on Windows 7 ultimate. I have found no option to change the workgroup name on the server. I am having trouble with remote access to the server web site and believe it is because the D-link router does not recognize the workgroup name on the server. When I turn on remote acces from the console I always receive an error when verifying the remote website is available from the internet. I can open the remote site with my browser over the internet and access the info. I think changing the server workgroup name might resolve this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:18 PM
  • The only method to change the name of the workgroup for a headless device you would have to use the Remote Desktop Client software on your PC to connect to your server, using the user name Administrator and the console password.
    Here you can find the necessary field in Control Panel/System on the Computer name tab.

The error message can be safely ignored if all other stuff works, because it comes from testing the connection from inside via outside to inside, which is not supported by each router.

Best greetings
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 19, 2010 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by wwills Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:30 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:55 PM
  • your suggestion was the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:31 PM