WLOC + Vista x64 Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all...

I'm currently in the (albeit generous) 90 day trial period for WLOC and I am running it on an XP Home (Core Duo 1.6/1GB) notebook and a Vista Ult. 64 (Core 2 Duo 2.4/2GB) notebook.  Each runs fine, however, I notice under Vista when starting up....after the welcome screen.....a black screen w/ the pointer, where I can move the pointer around for about 10sec, then I'm in Vista w/ all my icons and everything.

This all started after installing WLOC 2.0.  I've defragmented the drive and even run the WLOC Tune Up.  Vista flies on this machine but that pause on startup has me wondering...).  WLOC 2.0 was the last thing I installed (about a day after getting the notebook) before this started....(after installing Office 2k7, and all Windows updates).

Any advice, or is this "nature of the best" for WLOC and/or Antivirus in general under Vista?

Thanks!

JuanG

PS:  On the whole, I actually like WLOC better than any others I've used in the past....it's very sleek and unobtrusive

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:19 PM

Answers

• I'm not running Vista x64 at all, but it sounds to me like a resource issue at startup and, yes, it could certainly be caused by OneCare being added to your startup services. You might want to touch base with support to have them review if there are any conflicting services or programs that can or should be disabled to eliminate this problem.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Since you are a trial user, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• I'm not running Vista x64 at all, but it sounds to me like a resource issue at startup and, yes, it could certainly be caused by OneCare being added to your startup services. You might want to touch base with support to have them review if there are any conflicting services or programs that can or should be disabled to eliminate this problem.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Since you are a trial user, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Cheers Steve, I did as you said and I am supposed to receive a response back within 1 business day (yay!).  I have some time today to play around w/ this thing, so I may try uninstalling it and running another AV to see if it does it too.

Thanks again for the super-fast response!

Sunday, December 23, 2007 9:20 PM
  • You're welcome and good luck. Keep in mind that it may be longer than one day with the Holidays...

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:30 PM