CRM 2015 original reports, can I modify them to my purpose RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

CRM 2015 provided multiple default reports. for example...orders.

I was wondering if i can add my companies logo and and legal wording to it and use it with out any other changes?

Thanks,

Monday, March 30, 2015 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try using the following tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6116

If you download the rdl file for the report you want to edit (highlight the report then click 'edit' from the command bar > actions > Download Report) , open it with the tool and tweak accordingly. Once done, upload the rdl to your report simply by clicking the 'browse' button on the form when editing the report in crm.

Tip: keep the original rdl somewhere safe in case you mess it up initially.

This should suffice if you are only changing cosmetic aspects of the report. If you need to start working with the queries then CRMOnline has certain rules (i.e. using fetch xml and not allowing SQL queries) which means you need to use Visual Studio with the BIDS extension to do this. See the sdk for further info https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328097.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

• Proposed as answer by Rob BoyersEditor Monday, March 30, 2015 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ColourRed Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:01 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 9:57 PM
    Answerer
  • hello Red,

yes you may modify the reports to suit your purpose. Dataset or layout modifications are supported and will upgrade automatically when you upgrade

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:16 PM
  • If you are OnPremise you will not have problems to edit the reports, you can download the original RDL, modify and create a new report (it's better to don't touch the original reports)

If you are Online you can still download the original RDL, but after you make any changes to the report you need to rewrite the queries using FetchXML before you upload again, this because CRM Online still uses SQL for their OOB reports but they don't permit to use SQL for new reports or updates of the OOB ones.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

• Marked as answer by ColourRed Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:02 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try using the following tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6116

If you download the rdl file for the report you want to edit (highlight the report then click 'edit' from the command bar > actions > Download Report) , open it with the tool and tweak accordingly. Once done, upload the rdl to your report simply by clicking the 'browse' button on the form when editing the report in crm.

Tip: keep the original rdl somewhere safe in case you mess it up initially.

This should suffice if you are only changing cosmetic aspects of the report. If you need to start working with the queries then CRMOnline has certain rules (i.e. using fetch xml and not allowing SQL queries) which means you need to use Visual Studio with the BIDS extension to do this. See the sdk for further info https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328097.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

• Proposed as answer by Rob BoyersEditor Monday, March 30, 2015 9:57 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 9:57 PM
    Answerer
  • hello Red,

yes you may modify the reports to suit your purpose. Dataset or layout modifications are supported and will upgrade automatically when you upgrade

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:16 PM
  • If you are OnPremise you will not have problems to edit the reports, you can download the original RDL, modify and create a new report (it's better to don't touch the original reports)

If you are Online you can still download the original RDL, but after you make any changes to the report you need to rewrite the queries using FetchXML before you upload again, this because CRM Online still uses SQL for their OOB reports but they don't permit to use SQL for new reports or updates of the OOB ones.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

• Marked as answer by ColourRed Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:02 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:24 AM