How to backup sys and data drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Love WHS but have had two problems.
    DATA drive failure
    SYS drive failure

lost  my files and backups of computers
    my files I know I can dupe
    Can I dupe computer backups?

I understand that WHS updates now allow to backup sys drive?

I am re-installing whs again for the 3rd time, losing everything again!
    Do not want to do this again so...............

What is the best way to guard against failure of data drives and sys drive?
    (WHS software only?)

Thanks again,
    Ray
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:25 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server does not provide a means for a user to back up either the system drive or the backup database. The Home Computer Backup technical brief describes how to manually back up and restore the backup database, or you can search the forums for BDBB (Backup DataBase Backup) which is an add-in which automates that process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:28 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server does not provide a means for a user to back up either the system drive or the backup database. The Home Computer Backup technical brief describes how to manually back up and restore the backup database, or you can search the forums for BDBB (Backup DataBase Backup) which is an add-in which automates that process.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:28 PM
  • I read somewhere that power pack 1 for WHS was the answer I was looking for.
    I was hoping for answer from someone who has done backup this way or another way.
    Thanks,
    Ray
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:16 PM
  • I don't think you read that Power Pack 1 had the ability to back up the system partition. At one point (in an early beta of PP1) there was a feature that would allow an automated backup of the backup database. That feature was removed later on, however. The add-in I mention is as close to an automated solution as you are likely to get at this time.

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:05 AM