Mod-Auth - HOW DO I FIND THE CAUSE? RRS feed

• Question

• I am making a new thread because my last one was being ignored.

My Vista Business is only Genuine in Safe Mode. It is in a lovely mod-auth tamper state. The TTS is:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    TTS Error: K:20080121174127093-M:20080318142633029-
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

I have ommitted the rest.

I am well aware of the meaning of the TTS Error stamp, and I am also aware that I should look for installations within the 3 days prior. This yields nothing for me. Even if i DO want to uninstall something, I have this fun problem:

1) I can't access add/remove programs in Tamper state
    2) In Safe Mode, I can't uninstall certain programs that i suspect due to Installer Service not being available in Safe Mode.

Well that's just great!

During my diagnosis, I have disabled all non-MS Services in msconfig, as well as every single startup item, and I still fail validation. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM! Sad Only in Safe-Mode does this mysterious culprit not appear..

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, this has taken many hours out of my schedule..

Matthew
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Matthew,

I can only suggestions these options to resolve the issue:

1) Continue attempting to isolate and uninstall the incompatible program.

2) Go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista platform support. If your Vista is fairly new, you may still be within the free support warrenty period.

3) Backup your importent files and reinstall Vista. Once re-installed do research on each 3rd part program, that you want to install, and confirm you have the most up to date version and that the most up to date version is, in fact, compatible with Vista. The best way I know of is if the maker of the program that you want to install, has a forum, look around and see if anyone is having a problem running under Vista.

I'm sorry I can't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Matthew,

I can only suggestions these options to resolve the issue:

1) Continue attempting to isolate and uninstall the incompatible program.

2) Go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista platform support. If your Vista is fairly new, you may still be within the free support warrenty period.

3) Backup your importent files and reinstall Vista. Once re-installed do research on each 3rd part program, that you want to install, and confirm you have the most up to date version and that the most up to date version is, in fact, compatible with Vista. The best way I know of is if the maker of the program that you want to install, has a forum, look around and see if anyone is having a problem running under Vista.

I'm sorry I can't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:36 PM
  • About uninstalling programs:

1) In Tamper mode, I cannot access add/remove programs.

2) In Safe mode, the program I'm trying to remove requires Microsoft Installer Service, which claims it can NOT be started in safe-mode.

I've been told to uninstall something suspicious a million times - but I CAN NOT.

How do I get around this?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:58 AM