none
Sync Framework + Data Services (oData Protocol) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have request to use Sync Framework in new release of our WPF application (.NET 4.0 Client Profile) with SQL Server 2008.

They ask me if it possible to use in this solution also WCF Data Service that would provide data to synchronization using oData Protocol.

Do you think it is possible? How could I achive this?

I've seen MIX 10 Postcast but I didn't found any examples...

Regards,

Daniel

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

I assumed you watched the session that Mike Clark presented at MIX10. In this session, Mike introduced the new technologies that will be supported in Sync Framework vNext release. There is currently no sample available, but we will be released an invitation-only preview soon for people to try out the new technologies. 

In the next release, we will be specifying an Asymmetric Protocol (also called OData Sync) and the server-side components to allow you to implement a sync service and expose SQL Server/Azure data using the protocol to any client platforms for bi-direction sync. You may be able to use the server components to implement a WCF Sync service to expose data to the client.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Thanks,
    Nina

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

I assumed you watched the session that Mike Clark presented at MIX10. In this session, Mike introduced the new technologies that will be supported in Sync Framework vNext release. There is currently no sample available, but we will be released an invitation-only preview soon for people to try out the new technologies. 

In the next release, we will be specifying an Asymmetric Protocol (also called OData Sync) and the server-side components to allow you to implement a sync service and expose SQL Server/Azure data using the protocol to any client platforms for bi-direction sync. You may be able to use the server components to implement a WCF Sync service to expose data to the client.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Thanks,
    Nina

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:46 AM
  • So it is not yet available, and I will use simple WCF library to create server logic for synchronization only.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:20 PM