Windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows Home Server trial. I added an external drive and setup folder replication. All went wrong and the external drive failed. I have installed a new external drive, added it onto server storage.
    Problem is now this:

It will not remove the old drive - says insufficient space if I leave the old drive unformatted or file conflicts occurred if I try an do it after setting a partition up on it.

I can also not access the files on the internal drive - says cannot locate file if you try and open. This is a the main problem as it is my data. I have even taken the internal drive out and put in into another PC. Same problem when I try and open or copy the data.

I have also tried enabling and disabling folder replication and repeating the process mentioned.

Any advice?
    • Edited by maraisd Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:41 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    if you had no folder duplication on for the data, the files may be gone with the broken disk. The files directly under shares may belong to tombstones, which are pointing to the lost drive.
    In case they are on the primary drive, you can find them in the hidden folder DE\shares on the data partition. (Toggle show hidden files and folders for Explorer in Tools / Folder Options on the View tab).
    Check the following thread for a hardcore method of removing a broken disk from the console:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9e3c5131-9945-44f9-b94e-562138060d70/

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:54 AM