1 320

1 100

-------

800 is data

50 is back ups

150 is duplications

20 is sys

meaning i have 580gig free

is there a sweet spot i should try and keep things in?  The 750 and 500 drives are new....sooner than later i will replace the 100, but i am just unseure that i need to right away.  i dont see my storage requirements growing by leaps and bounds in the near future.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:14 PM

All replies

• WHS seems to keep the whole first hard drive with the sys partition free as possible for the "landing stage" and housekeeping functions.
    The volume of stotred data you have will be encroaching on this, if it were my server I would be looking to remove the 100gig, amd add a 500Gb+  (or a pair of 500's or 1Tb's if funds available) before the first disk got too clogged.(ie about now).

EDIT: I understand that once data is on the first phsyical disk WHS seems reluctant to move it off again, so the landing stage size is reduced
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

Not really,if you don't see your storage requirements expanding, there's no real reason to have even more available space.

If, (or when), you change the 100 drive, it would be worthwhile fitting two hard drives instead of one. WHS appears to behave a little better when it has duplicate data drives. That is, one system plus two data; one system plus four data, etc.

This just helps to keep associated files together assuming you have duplication enabled.

Colin

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:55 PM
  • I started with a single 750, then when the beta fix for the data corruption came out, i added the 100, 320, 500 drives.

Then added some more data and then turned on some duplication.

When i have the funds, i will replace the 100, but i dont want to do it before i have to.  I thought, i could wait untill i was approaching 100 gigs free.  I guess that is what I am wanting to verify.

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I have installed the  WHS disk management add-in, it shows you how full your individual drives are, so you can judge how full each drive is and when to install more capacity.

As in my edit, if you have data on your system disk(which you will have, as only one drive at the start), it will probably stay there, which will impact on the amount of data you can copy to the server at any one time without stopping for WHS to distribute it when balancing storage.
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 8:47 AM
  • How well does WHS handle adding a new drive that is equal in size to total of the existing drives. e.g 2 x 500 gig, insert a 1TB drive. With duplication turned on, will data be moved from one of the 500 gig drives to the new drive. Or would I have to insert the new drive add it to the pool, then remove one of the 500 gig drive, then add it back in.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 2:16 AM
  •  Dino2007 wrote:
    How well does WHS handle adding a new drive that is equal in size to total of the existing drives. e.g 2 x 500 gig, insert a 1TB drive. With duplication turned on, will data be moved from one of the 500 gig drives to the new drive. Or would I have to insert the new drive add it to the pool, then remove one of the 500 gig drive, then add it back in.
    No, Windows Home Server doesn't move files around on drives when you add a new drive, though it will run a balancing pass. Rather than trying to force your server to move data around, you should just add the drive, then let normal use of the server move files around.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 12:15 PM