Possible to 'Schedule a Meeting' from OC w/o Exchange? ...Outlook profile? RRS feed

• Question

• Does OCS/OC require Exchange in order to support OC's 'Schedule a Meeting' function?  If no, then is it required to have an Outlook profile defined on the client from which OC is being used?

The reason for asking is that I recently saw some odd behaviour when trying to use the feature in my lab, while Exchange was off-line -- 'Schedule a Meeting' was greyed-out; 'Share Information Using Live Meeting' wouldn't work.

Why would the lack of Exchange cause that to happen -- what am I missing?

Thanks,
    Eggy

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:36 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure this is an Exchange problem. I think the schedule a meeting facility is provided by the Outlook client. Provided that the Outlook addin for OCS is installed and configured, you should be able to schedule a meeting. (I am thinking this because an offline user might want to schedule the meeting and sync when they are next online. They wouldn't want this feature to work only when they are online??)

Sharing info using live meeting should just work provided the user is allowed this functionallity and is configured in the meeting policy at the forest level.

HTH

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:09 PM
  • HTH,

Thanks.  I agree -- Outlook (perhaps with OCS add-in) should handle this.  Part of the problem is confusing terminology:

•  "Live Meeting" is used to refer to both meetings provided through Microsoft Office Live service AND internal OCS (which are quite different from each other)
    •  To initiate a "Live Meeting". from OC, you do what?... ..."Schedule a Meeting"
    •  You can also initiate a "Live Meeting", from OC, by using "Share Information Using Live Meeting" 
    •  "Web Conference" is another term that is used somewhat, but I'm a bit unclear about what it specifically refers to

I'll so more (re-)reading, and experimenting, and I'm sure it will eventually come together.

Thanks again for your help.

Eggy

PS - It doesn't help that I have another unusual, sporadic problem where, when an IM conversation is initiated, the content of the message is mysteriously missing from the recipient's 'Conversation' window (but DOES get presented within the task-bar pop-up !

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:30 PM
  • You can also download the OCS Resource Kit and install the Web Scheduler

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9bf4f71-fb0b-4de9-962f-c56b70a8aecd&DisplayLang=en

This is a web application so it does not integrate with Outlook

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:50 PM