Installing WHS, after reboot the installation start again. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have build my own PC with a monther board from ASUS (P5QL-E). I have 3 SATA disks (1=160 GB, 2= 1.5TB, 3=1.5 tb). My plan was to install the OS on the 160 GB Disk and raid disk 2 and 3. Well that was the plan.

I have put the PC together and set the boot option to 1=DVD, 2=HD1, 3 Floppy(but I have none)

I have put the DVD in and restarted the PC. Every think looks fine, but when I return the PC has rebooted and I’m back where I started. Start all over again, same thing. So I restart and I’m sitting watching and it is finalizing and after reboot the installation starts again.

One thing is that I’m running a SATA DVD and SATA HD, I’m not using IDE at all.

So please help me, its Easter and I would like this up and running before I go to work on Tuesday.

I’m using the OEM version Part No. X14-19068

//Victor

Friday, April 10, 2009 3:12 PM

Answers

• No it works, I removed all disks except for on SATA Disk and the SATA DVD.

Friday, April 10, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• I think your motherboard isn't configured correctly. You can try setting your motherboard to boot first from the HDD, then the DVD drive, then restart setup if it doesn't immediately go to text-mode setup for Windows Server 2003 when you boot it. Often, even if the motherboard boots from the HDD without checking the DVD in this configuration, you can strike some specific key and select a different boot device.

You may also want to consult with Asus, or on the Asus forums, to see how to properly configure your motherboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:42 PM

Friday, April 10, 2009 5:51 PM

After the first reboot, do you see anything in the boot screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" (or something similar)?  If so, are you pressing anything during that time frame?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:26 PM
  • This actually happened to me also in one of the 19 times I reinstalled WHS trying to figure out my addonics driver problem.  It only happened once, and that time, I restarted and did not put the WHS disk back in the cd/dvd until after it had passed the boot stage.  It worked fine from there.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:51 AM

Should say Now ut works!
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:24 PM

After the first reboot, do you see anything in the boot screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" (or something similar)?  If so, are you pressing anything during that time frame?
    Yes and that made me realise that something was wrong with the boot order.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:25 PM