Hub Shows External PC At Risk - But It Isn't RRS feed

• Question

• This is a strange one.  I have 3 PC's on my One Care Circle.  PC # 3 had  a version of AdAware in which hub indicated was at risk of conflict with One Care Anti Spy and recommemded I remove it.  So I did.  Now PC #3 shows "Green" but Hub PC still shows the PC# 3 as "Red"  The are no more "Actions To Take" on PC #3 and any trace of any other VIrus Program or Anti  Spyware problem has been removed.  Hub PC clearly sees PC # 3 as it shows it's last Virus Scan and Virus Signature Update in circle.  Help!  This is driving me nuts!  What do I do?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:53 AM

Answers

• There have been other reports of this problem - basically, the removing conflicting software on a client PC does *not* update the status on the hub. I assume that it is a bug in OneCare. Others have reported reinstalling OneCare on the hub PC resolved the problem for them.

-steve

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:15 AM

All replies

• There have been other reports of this problem - basically, the removing conflicting software on a client PC does *not* update the status on the hub. I assume that it is a bug in OneCare. Others have reported reinstalling OneCare on the hub PC resolved the problem for them.

-steve

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:15 AM
  • I've seen similar situations occur in my circle and it always seems to clear up when I reboot the PC where the change took place.  I assume this is because WLOC on each machine talk to each other during boot and get things back in sync.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Hey Steve - Not a bad idea except for one small problem.  My version of One Care (1.5) was upgraded to version 2.0 via program update.  I figured I didn't need version 1.5 anymore so I threw it away (pretty dumb I know).  So my question to you is this.  Can I go ahead and download the trial version and register it with my Windows Live ID and password?  Would I need to remove the hub software ( I'd hate to lose all my settings - backup etc)  or do you think I could reinstall over existing version on the PC?.  Or -  should I just leave well enough alone and wait for Microsoft to release a patch.  I can't imagine this is something they haven't seen and simply ignore.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Thanks Scott - I have rebooted affected PC many times - Shut it down for 30 minutes and restarted .  It still has not affected  hub PC status.  Rats!!!
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  David M. Kennedy wrote:
    Hey Steve - Not a bad idea except for one small problem.  My version of One Care (1.5) was upgraded to version 2.0 via program update.  I figured I didn't need version 1.5 anymore so I threw it away (pretty dumb I know).  So my question to you is this.  Can I go ahead and download the trial version and register it with my Windows Live ID and password?  Would I need to remove the hub software ( I'd hate to lose all my settings - backup etc)  or do you think I could reinstall over existing version on the PC?.  Or -  should I just leave well enough alone and wait for Microsoft to release a patch.  I can't imagine this is something they haven't seen and simply ignore.

Any time you reinstall, you can activate with the same LiveID and it gets re-associated with the subscription. However, typically the settings will be lost. I believe your Centralized backup settings will not be lost, except perhaps for the PC that is being reinstalled in that a new, full backup will need to run for that PC.

If you choose to reinstall, be sure to confirm your subscription LiveID beforehand.

If you can live with the situation, perhaps by making the hub PC not a hub PC any longer, so you stop looking at the red status, I'd live with it for now and hope that a program update will resolve it. OneCare typically updates at least every few months with a minor version change - we've had 3 since 2.0 was released...

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:28 AM
  • My Hub seems to have that trouble a lot, even when I haven't deleted or uninstalled software.  The hub computer always reports one of the others has the firewall turned off or the anti-virus turned off, but the other computers are fine.  It's very frustrating.  I wish there was a way to just turn off that feature.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Bob, the communication from the others PCs in the Circle to the Hub PC should be pretty instantaneous if they are all connected to the same LAN. If there is a regular issue with the status, but it corrects itself after a while, it would seem that the local communications isn't taking place for some reason and the updates happen when OneCare sends and receives with the servers.

If you aren't using Centralized backup, you can simply stop using that PC as a hub and just pay attention to the status on the individual computers.

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:14 PM