Changing Editions Without Reinstalling RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to change editions of Windows without reinstalling?

To put it simply I bought this laptop used and it came preinstalled with Windows 7, it was supposed to be a trail (this what I was told), but I was never asked to input the key. When I finally was notified of it being ingenuine (those pop-ups and stuff) I simply uninstalled that update (the one ending in 033) and it stopped, so that was my first hint that the windows 7 I had was cracked. :/ a week later I moved up to college and because of my school / major I can purchase (for free :D) a windows key, so I reinstalled the update so I could validate my windows, but the validation stuff never came up @_@!, I tried a few manual methods until I finally thought to just run the SCANNOW thing in elevated cmd prompt. After restarting I can now "change the product key", but now it appears I cant use the key I bought because it is for Windows 7 Professional and this laptop has Ultimate on it. I cannot reinstall windows (not until at least next week or so when my external harddrive gets here), so is there anyway I can validate my windows without spending money? Or better yet change my version of Windows 7.

Also I've heard that ingenuine windows 7 will shut down every 2 hours? (along with the no wallpaper thing) Is this true?

--GGN

EDIT: Also, this laptop was purchased with Windows Vista (if that matters) the sticker is still on the bottom with the code and everything. I'm not going to ever use it but yea, just thought I should say so.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

• If the current installation is Windows 7 Ultimate, then you cannot revert to Windows 7 Professional.  You will need to reformat the hard drive and perform a "clean install" of Windows 7 Professional.  You will need to contact your college for information on how to obtain the proper Windows 7 Professional DVD that goes along with the product key you acquired from them.

Attempting to use your current unauthorized version of Windows 7 Ultimate is unwise as it may be infected with malware and spyware.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• If the current installation is Windows 7 Ultimate, then you cannot revert to Windows 7 Professional.  You will need to reformat the hard drive and perform a "clean install" of Windows 7 Professional.  You will need to contact your college for information on how to obtain the proper Windows 7 Professional DVD that goes along with the product key you acquired from them.

Attempting to use your current unauthorized version of Windows 7 Ultimate is unwise as it may be infected with malware and spyware.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:31 PM

Carey Frisch

I understand everything you said except for the assumption that my W7U is infected with Mal/Spyware. Where did this come from? Why did you make such an assumption?

Either way, thanks for the answer.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:56 PM
  • What I wrote was "may be infected"....did not intend to offend.  Anytime someone purchases a "used computer", one does not know the actual state of its security.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Oh my God, Always Microsft assuming that everychange is directely with Illegal Software, not the way to change for other reasons, sometimes just to uniform the Editions in the corporate branch.....

Emilio I. Wilde

Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:00 PM