Password RRS feed

• Question

• Well I seemed to have made the age old mistake of forgetting the Administrator password.  Don't know how.  I set all my computers to use the same password for the user Administrator but for some reason it won't let me in.  So I figured I would give the old Nt Password Reset disk a try because it worked on 2003 server for a friend of mine in the past and I have used it to help people on Windows 2000 and XP.  Well, it didn't seem to work on Home Server.  Not sure why but oh well.  I can always reinstall.  Lesson learned I guess.  I hope RC1 comes soon.  Would rather wait for that to do a reinstall.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:23 PM

All replies

• So I presume, the password hint was of no help?
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:45 PM
  • The password hint basically told me the same thing i was thinking.  It is set to the same password I have set for ally my other computers for the Administrator.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:11 PM
  • So would it break WHS to manually add at least one user (not the Admin) to the admin group and grant RDP logon rights?
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:30 PM
  • No, it wouldn't. Right now, access is prevented for other users than Administrator by Remote access policy. For the specific user, you may allow remote access regardless of policy (from user management mmc).
    Monday, May 21, 2007 4:21 AM
  • Exxcellent!  I'll try it and see how it works.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Well, it worked, but it killed my remote access because, as a member of the Admin group, I can't logon with admin privileges over the internet.  Nice safety feature, but...unintended consequences.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Oh yes, sorry I overlooked that part Sad
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:54 PM
  • You can try this

Hit run from the start menu, type in control userpasswords2

Click the advanced tab

Under Advanced user management, click advanced

You should now have a window labeled Local Users and Groups, Click on users folder

On Administrator, right click and select set password.

You get quite the warning and I don’t know if it is a risk you want to take, but it might do the trick for you.

The warning says to use this if you don’t have a reset disk.

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:19 PM