HP WHS box problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

Have had a good search through all the previous posts but didnt find anything else similar as of yet

Here is my problem

I have the EX470 that came with a 500GB hard drive as standard.  I then added another 3 x 1TB drives and all was good.....until yesterday

I turned the machine on again, all booted up fine but for some reason my network wasnt working correctly...so I managed to get all of the network talking to each other, rebooted the WHS and all I had was 4 red drive lights (on the case front)....and since then nothing has changed.  No matter how many times I reboot, the machine fails to get past the red lights.

I have taken out the system drive and attached it to my pc, and the machine can read it fine and all is good...it can see the drive and having scanned for errors, my Vista machine can find no problems with it at all.

I have even tried to use the restore disc to see if I could mened the probelm that way......bu the manual states you need  to push in a small reset (recessed) switch whislt the system status light is flashing blue and red and then it will enter restore mode.    Well the light never flashes red and blue so I can never get it into restore mode...so that is a little worrying...

So I have two questions....firstly and most importantly.....am I going to be able to get to the data on my current data drives (ie the 3x1TB disks) in the machine by connecting them to my vista machine.  Will it be able to read the info...after all...this server now holds all of my audio/video/picture files, and it would be a disaster if I couldnt get to any of this.

Secondly, does anyone know of this problem....has anyone seen or heard of it before....andyone know how to reslove the ALL red light issue...its appears at least the system drive is fine as I am able to read it from within Vista so Im hoping all of the drives are in fact fine and that I will at least be able to get to my data to copy it elsewhere.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions and opinions on my slightly tricky situation.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:13 AM

All replies

• First, yes you can get to your files. The drives in WHS are formatted with the NTFS file system, so you can attach them to any PC in your house and read them. As long as there's nothing wrong with the drives, you're ok.

When you say you've tried the server recovery disk, did you reboot the server? The light you mention only flashes for a few seconds during the system boot process; that's when you have to press the switch. But what you're describing sounds like a hardware problem, not a software issue.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 12:03 PM