Error while retrieving mac address:Object reference not set to an instance of an object. RRS feed

• Question

• MB taken out by lightning. Replaced it with the same model.  When ever I open the WHS Console on the server I receive the error message, "Error while retrieving mac address:object Reference not set to an instance of an object."

Can't open the remote console either.

Thanks for the help,
    Emil
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:16 PM

All replies

• MB taken out by lightning. Replaced it with the same model.  When ever I open the WHS Console on the server I receive the error message, "Error while retrieving mac address:object Reference not set to an instance of an object."

Can't open the remote console either.

Thanks for the help,
    Emil

Did you reconfigure Remote Access after you replaced the mobo?  (It sounds like it may still be looking for the old MAC address.)  If nothing else, you could try Server Reinstallation.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Emil,
    I was getting the same error on my Windows Home Server when connecting to my WHS Console. I even got the error when connecting to the WHS console from within Remote Desktop connection to the server. I found a reference to another Microsoft forum that a user said he uninstallled the ASoft Auto Exit 2008 add-in on WHS.  I know that the Auto Exit 2008 add-in shows the MAC addresses for all connected computers to the WHS.  So I resolved the error by uninstalling Auto Exit 2008.  I hope this helps so you do not have to perform a server reinstallation.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:37 PM