PP1 Duplication: "There are File Conflicts" - Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a share with 685.45GB of .ISO Images.    Everything is happy until I enable duplication on the share. After a few minutes the Home Server Health Icon will go to Orange with a "Network At Risk" warning. At the time of these errors the system event viewer starts to get flooded with Event Id 7 - Source Disk Errors - "The Device, \Device\Harddisk1, Has a Bad Block.

Turning off duplication immediately sets everything back to green.

Both 1TB drives in this system were working just fine in an XP Pro System a few days ago.  

I removed the offending disk from the Storage pool but left it in the server as standalone drive and assigned a drive letter to it.

I did this so it remains in the 4 Bay Esata enclosure so if there is a hardware problem being caused somewhere along the bus that variable will remain constant the only difference being the drive is not part of the pool.

I am now running chkdsk with both "automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" This has been running for about 45 minutes and the System Event Viewer is clean thus far since starting this.

When this completes I will also run the Western Digital Diags on the drive to further verify the drive is good.

Also, It is my understanding WHS does a sanity check on the drive during the add drive process.  If this drive was toasted I would expect WHS wouldn't have allowed me to add it to the storage pool.

I have subitted a bug report on CONNECT (350392) and submitted the CAB
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:23 PM

Answers

• Issue Resolved.

This was a hardware problem.   The Rosewill 4 Bay Esata Enclosure I was using was not very good with WHS.   Fortunately I was still able to RMA it.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

• Thanks Flad for the feedback item, detailed post and the quick response to our request for additional information.  It really helps with our investigations.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Issue Resolved.

This was a hardware problem.   The Rosewill 4 Bay Esata Enclosure I was using was not very good with WHS.   Fortunately I was still able to RMA it.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  

I had a similar error when I installed PP1 apparently the "proactive" directory scan found 5 files that it complained about as having file conflicts. I ran the toolkit and uploaded the logs CAB482416023 however when I went to Connect I found the bug had already been reported and was considered resolved.

The five files I have listed ARE NOT in the directories that WHS is saying they are and cannot be deleted to clear the error. I suspect they are from a hard disk failure I had a few months back wherein I lost some files.

I do not consider the problem resolved because I cannot get WHS to stop complaining about these files. The suggestion in the bug report is to delete them, but they are already deleted and gone. Suggestions?????

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:01 PM