Vista Will Not Boot POST INSTALL of Windows Home Server Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried many times to install Windows Home Server Connector Software on a brand new Vista machine.  HOWEVER, when I reboot, I get the logon screen, enter the password, and the machine appears to be starting Vista but I GET A BLACK SCREEN WITH WHITE MOUSE ARROW. 

Here are the steps I perform:

1)Set a restore point in Vista.

2)Install Home Server Connector Software(from the binaries that are on the Server, do not install from a CD). Install works fine, finds the server, even able to perform a full backup.

3)Reboot Vista

4)Logon To Vista

5) FAILS TO START VISTA <HERE IS WHERE THE BLACK SCREEN AND FAILURE OF VISTA FULLY LOADING>  So I'm pretty much going to have to restore to a previous point to get the machine to boot properly...

6)Reboot to Safe Mode, Restore to previus point(set in step 1)

7)Logout of safe mode and restart pc

8) Logon to Vista

9) Desktop appears... 

So, it appears that Home Server Connector Software is really blocking my PC from loading Vista fully...

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,

Chad D. Bryant

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am experiencing the exact same problem on both of my Vista machines.
    One is a laptop, and the other one is a desktop. I have tried multiple times with the same result, except the laptop came to a full desktop screen, but quit responding.
    I was able to disable the WHSTrayApp.exe through msconfig when in safe mode, and now the laptop works.
    The sam eprocess did not solve the desktop problem, I was forced to do a restore to a point prior to the install of the connector
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Interesting, I was told that one other person and I had experienced this problem....  This sounds like a real bug with no true work around...

Hope this helps,

Chad D. Bryant

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:22 PM
  • Have either of you tried to do a logged boot?  This should show you what is hanging up during the boot process. 
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Do you have any security software on your computer?
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Here is the connect link https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=264329

You will need to include Talq logs on both the Server and the Client.  Anyone else having this problem please report it there and include your logs.  I will inform the support team this issue is on multiple systems but we need all your help to track it down.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 9:06 PM