How do I record to WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• A recent patch to my PC's now allows them to play recorded programs from the WHS.  Actually I think the PC's already had that ability, but anyway how do I tell Vista Ultimate Media-Center to record programs to the server instead of the local hard drive?  When I go into the Media-Center's "settings - TV - recorder", WHS isn't an option.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I can't figure it out.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• You Can't. PP2 only allows you the ability to view the "recorded tv" share on WHS. You could do this before but you had to manually add the share.
    you will need to use an addin like recoded tv manager to move the recorded tv files.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:16 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:58 PM

All replies

• You Can't. PP2 only allows you the ability to view the "recorded tv" share on WHS. You could do this before but you had to manually add the share.
    you will need to use an addin like recoded tv manager to move the recorded tv files.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:16 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Bucket,
    That's a bummer but I guess its actually a huge shortcoming within Media Center, not WHS.  I was hoping everything would "just work" because I've now bought two Media Center PC's and a WHS, and don't feel I should have to buy 3rd party add-ins to get core functionality.

I'm still wondering if there is another solution.  Microsoft is a pretty good company and I can't believe they wouldn't have this functionality built in.  I mean, why would they have a "recorded TV" folder without a way to record to it?  They know we aren't going to copy/paste TV shows to the server, and relying on third party software doesn't make sense.  Is there a way to map a drive so that it appears local?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:29 PM
  • You can do a registry hack but I wouldn't advise it. It will likely (at some stage) corrupt the file.
    You can just copy&paste as your recoded tv folder gets full.
    There are free programs that move the files automaticly.
    Recorded TV manager has a client that is installed on the local MCE PC that moves the files. It is free. The part you pay for is the addin for WHS so you can view the tv program list on the console. No big loss really.
    There is also another recoded tv manager addin for WHS that is free (I haven't tried it yet). Also sync toy would work as long as you set it up to move files that are older than say two days or something simular.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I'll look at some of those free addins when I get time.  I totally agree with you about avoiding registry hacks - not that I know how anyway.  Thanks for your help and ideas.

Monday, April 6, 2009 11:45 PM
  • This registry hack should work for recording TV to WHS, on the Media Center PC change the recorded TV path in the registry to WHS recored TV folder.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording  \\SERVER\Recorded TV”

Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Richard,
    I might backup the registry and try that.  What about the allocated space to record to?  My WHS has much more room than the Media Center PC, can I increase the allocation size through the registry too (since Media Center won't allocate higher than the size of the local hard drive)?  I want to cap it at 500 gigs.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:33 PM
  • I have tested recording live TV to WHS about2 years ago and it worked, I had to set the permissions myself on the recorded TV folder on WHS, but PP2 has now set the correct permissions for you.

Never tried constantly recording to the hard drive until was full, I always deleted TV recording off WHS or MCE before that happen.

Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:04 PM