Why less percentage of usage in MSN compare to yahoo, google RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    While i had compared MSN adcenter with Google adwords and Yahoo small business, the Advitagements in MSN is less compare to the other online adv. what is the reason.

Thanks,

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:51 AM

All replies

• 1) It is more expensive than Yahoo & Google. Not to compare those 2 giants. Adcenter is far below Ask.com
    2) Too little traffics, too much time to handle adcenter's campaign. Even adbrite generates more traffics than adcenter
    3) Adcenter is extremely poor when measuring relevancy of your adtext and your landing page. This will cause alot of
    adtext beign disapproved. Sometimes people get annoyed by those rejections.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Hello Anil

Please let me try and add another perspective to this discussion. 

While adCenter traffic in the US and UK may not be as much as Google & Yahoo!'s - were at about 10% share in the US and 5% in the UK - the feedback we have had is that we are still very competitively priced and that it totally depends on which sector you are advertising. Live Search is very strong on retail, finance and travel.

The other feedback we have received is that although the traffic may be slight compared to your other campaigns, the conversion rates are very good.

In the past, we have been asked for better tools for advertisers to make bulk changes to campaigns, in order to speed up campaign management and recent releases have been well received.

We also understand that editorial rejections have been a bit of a pain point with regards to ensuring the quality of the ads submitted through to adCenter, and they're relationship to the KW bid on and the landing page. We have made improvements both algorithmically and within the UI to ensure a more efficient process, while still maintaining excellent relevance for our users, and great ROI for our advertisers.

Do check out the adCenter Blog for more information and let us know how you get on.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Mel

Friday, December 21, 2007 11:06 AM
  • I have been an Adcenter advertiser for the past 3 months and am actually delighted with my conversions. I use both Adwords and Adcenter and my comparison shows that Adcenter beats Adwords in conversions heads up. What I like about Adcenter is the pure MSN network traffic devoid of any 3rd party search partners and publisher network. This has ensured me clean 100% pure traffic. Whereas, as an Adwords customer, I am forced to turn off the Google content network (adsense traffic) or else risk getting swamped with 90% non converting traffic. These days I even have to turn off their search partner network (namely ask.com, aol, netscape etc). These too have started getting me non converting traffic. As a result I am forced to opt for the pure Google search network which gets very expensive for all keywords.

Okay, if and if only MSN had higher search volumes, people like me would definitely never look back at Adwords. I just hope that MSN is able to work towards building search traffic numbers. If this ever happens, I can assure you that Adwords will be over with or have to come to ground reality regarding their ridiculous advertising rates and pathetic customer support.

I love Adcenter and would really live to see it do well. Here is my suggestion. I think MSN should start a campaign where search users start getting lucky prizes like ipods, cell phones etc. I mean, the campaign runs this way,

A Live search user wins a prize when he searches for "refinance at low rates". He knows he has won his prize because he sees a small red gift box next to his results box. He then clicks on the box and is given a unique winning security code which he mails back to MSN who sends him the gift. I mean 1 in 200 visitors or 1000 visitors may win prizes. But, it  makes using the search engine more exciting because you have a chance of winning. This can attract more people to try using Live search. Something like " Now you also win prizes while you search for Christmas Deals on Live". Initially, I wold target only the US/Canada. This will definitely encourage new users to try out live search and become regular users.

I think MSN has to do something unique to get more users to experience the power of live. Hopefully this will increase search volumes and advertiser traffic. Smile

Varon

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:56 PM