none
SyncToy copy not true pst file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who works from home and is using SyncToy to copy her local data to her network home folder.  When I checked her folder that should contain her pst files, it contains files like this: "archive.pst_SyncToyBackup_20090721214307358".  The file size seems appropriate, but it doesn't seem to be a real pst file.  I renamed the file to just archive.pst and then I attempted to open it using Outlook and that did not work.  I'm concerned that we are not getting a good copy of her pst data.  Is there a way to recover her data using this backup file?  Thank you.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Vee11,

I used SyncToy v1.4 (now v2.0) and what you describe is the temporary file created by SyncToy during the copy. Once the copy was successfully done, SyncToy would erase the old copy and rename the temp copy.

Unfortunatelly, SyncToy was not good at cleaning after if the sync process was interrupted before completing (no matter why). I used to search for any "*synctoy*" files frequently to ensure I was not collecting a lot of garbage. On the other hand, SyncToy v2.0 seems to be a lot better on this regard. I have not seen this problem again since I started using the current v2.0

• Marked as answer by Vee11 Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:08 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi -

What version of SyncToy are you using?  I am not sure that I have seen us create a SyncToyBackup file before?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Hello Deepa,

It's version 1.4.  Thank you.

V
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Hi -

I am sorry - I am not sure how SyncToy 1.4 worked. It definitely looks like that should be a complete .pst file ( I think the previous version created that file when it was not sure which was the right file to overwrite). You could repostt this on the Outlook forums and see if anyone knows anything that can be done if the file is expected to just be a renamed copy of the .pst file.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:42 AM
  • OK, thank you.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Hi Vee11,

I used SyncToy v1.4 (now v2.0) and what you describe is the temporary file created by SyncToy during the copy. Once the copy was successfully done, SyncToy would erase the old copy and rename the temp copy.

Unfortunatelly, SyncToy was not good at cleaning after if the sync process was interrupted before completing (no matter why). I used to search for any "*synctoy*" files frequently to ensure I was not collecting a lot of garbage. On the other hand, SyncToy v2.0 seems to be a lot better on this regard. I have not seen this problem again since I started using the current v2.0

• Marked as answer by Vee11 Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:08 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hi Ramonh77,

That is  the information I've been looking for - thank you!  What you say makes sense with the set of circumstances we have in this user's situation.  I really apppreciate your post - this is very helpful.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I use a program to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. [URL="http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/232"]Auto file and folder sync software[/URL] is a necessary thing for everybody. That is why I use this program and haven't such problems. May be it will help you.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:05 PM